PUGIN, EDWARD WELBY #
- Born: 1834 Died: 1875
Architect, of London. For an account of the life of Edward Welby Pugin, the eldest son of AUGUSTUS WELBY NORTHMORE PUGIN , see Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, XLV, 525-6, A. Wedgwood, ed., Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects: the Pugin Family (RIBA, 1977), 113, A. Wedgwood, A.W.N. Pugin and the Pugin family (1985), Roderick O'Donnell, 'The Pugins in Ireland' in Paul Atterbury, ed., A W N Pugin : Master of the Gothic Revival (The Bard Graduate Centre for Studies in the Decorative Arts and Yale University Press, New Haven & London,1995),136-159, and Roderick O'Donnell, 'The Later Pugins', in Paul Atterbury and Clive Wainwright, eds., Pugin: a Gothic passion (Yale University Press, New Haven & London, 1994), 259-271.
Following the death of his father in 1852, Edward Welby Pugin was involved in the completion of some of his Irish works. He formed two successive partnerships with Irishmen: the first from circa 1857 to 1858, with JAMES MURRAY  (as PUGIN & amp; MURRAY ), the second in 1860 with GEORGE COPPINGER ASHLIN (PUGIN & amp; ASHLIN ), who married his sister Mary in 1867. Ashlin opened an office in Dublin and managed the firm's Irish business. The partnership of PUGIN & amp; ASHLIN was dissolved in the latter months of 1868.(1)
See WORKS, for Irish works only; see also works of PUGIN & amp; ASHLIN and PUGIN & amp; MURRAY.
(1) By September 1869 Pugin's representative in Ireland is named as 'Mr Collingridge Barnett' (IB 11, 1 Sep 1869, 205).
9 work entries listed in chronological order for PUGIN, EDWARD WELBY #
|Building:||CO. OFFALY, BIRR, WILMER ROAD, ST JOHN'S CONVENT OF MERCY|
|Refs:||Phoebe Stanton, Pugin (1971), 206; R. O'Donnell, 'The Pugins in Ireland' in P.Atterbury, ed., A.W.N. Pugin, Master of Gothic Revival (Yale, 1995), 147|
|Building:||CO. KERRY, KILLARNEY, CATHEDRAL PLACE, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (RC)|
|Nature:||High altar and reredos.|
|Refs:||R. O'Donnell, 'The Pugins in Ireland' in P.Atterbury, ed., A.W.N. Pugin, Master of Gothic Revival (Yale, 1995), 154,159n91|
|Building:||CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, SLIEVEKEALE ROAD, PRESENTATION CONVENT|
|Refs:||Design for fireplace, 1856 in RIBA drawings collection, see A. Wedgwood, Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects: the Pugin Family (1977), 116; obituary in B 33, 12 Jun 1875, 523|
|Building:||CO. CORK, BANTRY, CONVENT OF MERCY|
|Nature:||Unexecuted (limited competition?) design for convent buildings and chapel. With James Murray.
|Refs:||Perspective of entrance front in RIBA drawings collection, see A. Wedgwood, Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects: the Pugin Family (1977), 117.|
|Building:||CO. CORK, CORK, SS. PETER & PAUL PLACE, CHURCH OF SS. PETER & PAUL (RC)|
|Nature:||EWP given commission though not winner of competition. French Gothic. FS laid 15 Aug1859. Contractor: Barry McMullen. Clerk of Works: Langford. Dedicated 29 Jun 1866. Cost, exclusive of tower and spire, to be about £11,000. Stained glass windows, 1870, by Mr Barnett, Edinburgh & Leith Stained Glass Works.|
Photograph of interior perspective, 1859, in Victoria & Albert Museum, RIBA Drawings Collection, PB244/24, see A. Wedgwood, Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects: the Pugin Family (1977), 113, and British Architectural Library Catalogue, http://riba.sirsidynix.net.uk/uhtbin/cgisirsi/KyMs8hfgef/MAIN_CAT/124810006/13 (last visited Apr 2009); RA 1860, no. 657; Cork Examiner, 15 Aug 1859,29 Jun 1866 (refs. from Mgr. James O'Brien, Buttevant, Co. Cork, Sep 2010); DB 1, 1 May, 1 Sep 1859, 59,115; 2, 1 May,1 Jun,1 Jul,1 Aug 1860, 258,266,297,310(illus.); 8, 15 Jan,1 Feb 1866, 15-16,29-30; B 18, 21 Jul 1860, 464; 19, 23 Feb 1861, 129; 20, 19 Jul 1862, 512; 28, 23 Jul 1870, 591; Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal 24 (Mar 1861), 90; JCHAS (143), 28; Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 56-57; information from Dr Gerard Hyland.
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, NENAGH, CONVENT OF MERCY|
|Nature:||3-storey addition containing chapel, community room and dining room. Listed as work of EWP in obituary in Builder. Just started in Sep 1859. Opened 1861.
Building News, 30 Sep 1859, 882; Is this the RC church in Nenagh mentioned in 'Architectural Exhibitions' The Ecclesiologist 21 (Jun 1860), 175?; B 33, 12 Jun 1875, 523; information from Dr Gerard Hyland, citing e-mail from convent archivist.
|Building:||CO. CORK, CROSSHAVEN, CHURCH OF ST BRIGID (RC)|
|Nature:||New church, consisting of nave and aisles terminated at E by chancel and side chapels. Sacristy on S, baptistry SW. (Proposed transepts, tower and spire not built?). For Canon Neville, PP. FS laid 22 Aug 1869. Dedicated 29 Jun 1873. Initially superintended by Mr Collingridge Barnett. Later by Clerk of Works McAulif. Contractor: Richard Evans, Cork. Subject of litigation. (Extended iby 31ft in early 1960s, see IB 102, 23 Jul 1960, 551)|
IB 10, 15 Jul 1868, 182; 11, 1 Sep 1869, 205; 12, 15 Aug 1870, 189,198;15, 15 Apr 1873, 109; B 27, 4 Sep 1869, 712-3; Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 62; information from Dr Gerard Hyland, citing Stephen Welsh Papers on EW Pugin (1975) in RIBA Collection, Victoria & Albert Museum, London.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, TALLAGHT, ST MARY'S PRIORY (DOMINICAN)|
|Refs:||Undated perspective sketch in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman drawings collection, Acc. 76/1.153/1|
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, FETHARD, CONVENT|
|Nature:||New convent. FS laid 6 Jul 1869. Occupied 13 May 1871. Main wing only finished. Convent buildings completed to designs by W.G. Doolin, 1885.
Information from Dr Gerard Hyland, citing letter from parish priest of Fethard, Jan 1962.)
|O'donnell, Roderick||'The Pugins in Ireland'