Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Engineer. James Price, eldest son of JAMES PRICE[1]  JAMES PRICE[1] and elder brother of ALFRED DICKINSON PRICE ALFRED DICKINSON PRICE , was born on 1 December 1855. He studied engineering at Trinity College, Dublin, where he was an honourman in mathematics and experimental physics, graduating BA in 1877 and BAI in 1878. During 1878 and 1879 he assisted his father with the preparation of plans for two railways and for the Lough Erne drainage scheme. From the end of 1879 until October 1881 he was employed by the contractor Thomas Dowling in the planning and construction of the Bantry Extension Railway; he was then again employed by his father, first, until March 1882, as resident engineer on Galway Docks, and then, from May 1882, as resident engineer on the Lough Erne Drainage scheme, a position which he held until the end of 1888 or later. In 1894 he was working on the Kyle Railway in Scotland but returned to Ireland following his father's death in April 1895. Later in 1895 he was appointed engineer to the Cork Harbour Commissioners, remaining in the post until at least 1933, when he was succeeded by his assistant FREDERICK O'CONNELL SAUNDERS. FREDERICK O'CONNELL SAUNDERS. (1) He died in 1936, remembered by the Harbour Commissioners' general manager as 'one of the most loyal and lovable officials it has ever been the good fortune of anybody to work with'.(2)   He was married twice.  At the time of the 1911 census, three of his children by his first marriage were living with him, while he had been married to his second wife, Lilian, for fourteen years.

ICEI: elected member, 6 May 1896;(3) council member, 1901.(4) Inst.CE: elected member 4 December 1888; delivers paper, 'Lough Erne Drainage', 18 March 1880;(5) resigns, 29 May 1934.

Addresses: Belleek Island, Belleek, Co. Fermanagh, 1888; 44 Harcourt Street, Dublin, 1888;(6) Kyle Railway, Strome Ferry, Scotland, 1894; 44 Harcourt Street, Dublin, 1895; Harbour Office, Lapp's Quay, Cork, 1896; Harbour Engineer's Office, Custom House Street, Cork, 1912.
Home: 2 Beausite, Rushbrooke, Co. Cork, 1915;(7) Cotil, Rushbrooke, Co. Cork, 1936.(8)



All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from the records of Inst.CE, kindly supplied by the Archivist, Mrs Carol Morgan.

(1) Mary Leland, That Endless Adventure: a history of the Cork Harbour Commissioners (2001), 148.
(2) IB 78, 17 Oct 1936, ?.
(3) TICEI 25 (1895-6), 93.
(4) TICEI 28, list of officers.
(5) Min.Proc.Inst.CE 101 (1889-90, Pt. III), 73-94.
(6) This was his father's office address from 1887 or earlier until his death in 1895.
(7) Guy's Cork Directory (1915), 413.
(8) List of ICEI members in Thom's Directory (1937).

1 work entries listed in chronological order for PRICE, JAMES [2]

Sort by date | Sort alphabetically

Date: 1906
Nature: New premises formally opened, Oct 1906. Builder: J. Sisk, Cork. Cost: £31,000.
Refs: I; B 48, 20 Oct 1906, 854

Author Title Date Details
Price, James 'Lough Erne Drainage' 1890 Min.Proc.Inst.CE 101 (1889-90, Pt. III), 73-94.