PRENDERGAST, JOHN KYLE
- Born: 1893 Died: 1936
Engineer. John Kyle Prendergast, who was born on 15 September 1893 in Co. Westmeath, was the elder son of PATRICK JOSEPH PRENDERGAST . After attending St Ignatius College, Galway, he studied engineering at University College, Galway, from 1910 to 1913, graduating with first-class honours in 1913. From 1913 until 1916 he completed his practical training under PATRICK HARNETT MCCARTHY . He then worked as McCarthy's assistant for a further year and, from 1917 to 1918, as assistant to MICHAEL JOSEPH KENNEDY.& #160; As assistant to the London-based engineers Francis Stileman and Ralph Freeman, he was next employed on the construction of a shipbuilding yard at Haverton Hill-on-Tees for the Furness Shipbuilding Co.. Other work in Britain included the completion of a rising bridge at Middlesborough, and an electrification scheme in North Wales.
By 1926 Predergast had returned to Ireland and become resident engineer for the Saorstat Government at Limerick in connection with the Shannon Hydroelectric Scheme. His responsibilities included the certification of payments to the German contractors. Further work abroad took him to India, where he was in involved in railway work, and to Egypt. He was in charge of the strengthening and reconstruction of the Assiut Barrage in Upper Egypt, when he died, aged only forty-one, after a few days' illness in 1936, leaving a widow in Galway.
Inst.CE: elected associate member, 9 Mar 1920.
ICEI: elected associate member, 2 April 1917; transferred to member, 1928; ceased membership circa 1929.
Addresses: Engineers' Offices, Mssrs. Furness Shipbuilding Co., Haverton Hill, Middlesborough, Yorkshire, 1918-1920; Norman Villas, Galway, 1920; Plas Colwyn, Beddgelert, North Wales, 1924; Resident Engineer's Office, Shannon Power Development, Limerick, 1926-1929.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Prendergast's candidate's circular for admission as associate memeber of Inst.CE (1920) (information from Mrs Carol Morgan, Archivist, Inst.CE), from the obituary in IB 78, 13 Jun 1936, 500 and from the lists of ICEI members in TICEI and Thom's directories.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for PRENDERGAST, JOHN KYLE
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, CURRAGHMORE BRIDGE|
|Nature:||JKP resident engineer, responsible for design and reconstruction of same, rebuilding of wing walls and piers, including piling and underpinning and flooring (£1,500).
Prendergast's candidate's circular for admission as associate memeber of Inst.CE (1920) (information from Mrs Carol Morgan, Archivist, Inst.CE).