PHILLIPS, ROBERT BOYLE
- Born: 1813ca Died: 1882
Architect. Robert B. Phillips was employed by the ECCLESIASTICAL COMMISSIONERS from perhaps as early as 1854.(1) According to the Irish Builder he was the Commissioners' district clerk of works in the diocese of Lismore in the early 1860s, designing alterations to the church at Tullamelan, Co. Waterford, in 1863.(2) Following the disestablishment of the Church of Ireland in 1870, he was appointed architect to the Church of Ireland diocese of Meath in 1872,(3) a position which he retained until his death.(4) In 1878 he is described as 'architect to the Representative Church Body'.(5) He was resident in Dublin during the 1870s and until his death which took place at his son's residence in Adare, Co. Limerick, on 18 May 1882.(6) The son in question was presumably John Domville Phillips of Adare, at that time a sub-inspector in the Royal Irish Constabulary and the sole executor of his will, who can probably be identified with the architect of the same name.(7)
AAI: present at inaugural meeting, 13 October 1872.(8)
Addresses:(9) 5 Rathmines Park, 1872; 38 Grosvenor Square, Rathmines, 1873-1875; 46 Bushfield Avenue, Donnybrook, 1876-1879; 1 Oxford Road, Ranelagh, 1880-1882.
(1) A note attached to a drawing of Clogherny church, Co. Tyrone, in RCB Library, Portfolio 2A, is initialled R.P.B. and dated 19 Sep 1854.
(2) DB 5, 15 Oct 1863, 173; possibly there is a confusion here with John Domville Phillips, q.v.
(3) IB 14, 1 Oct 1872, 273.
(4) Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 24, no. 130, 24 Jun 1882, 444.
(5) http://www.limerickcity.ie/Library/LocalStudies/ObituariesdeathnoticesetcfromtheLimerickChronicle/Alphabeticallistingsofobituariesdeathnoticesetc/p.pdf (last visited, Nov 2015).
(6) Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 20, no. 234, 1 Sep 1878 252.,
(7) Ireland Calendar of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1920 database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K6M6-J68 : accessed 2 Dec2015); Ireland Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958, database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FT3D-43K : accessed 2 Dec 2015)
(8) IB 14, 15 Oct 1872, 280.
(9) From Jones's transcripts from Thom's directories.
7 work entries listed in chronological order for PHILLIPS, ROBERT BOYLE
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, TULLAMELAN (CLONMEL), CHURCH (CI)|
|Nature:||Renovation, including new vestry and re-pewing. Cost: £150, half of which was contributed by the Earl of Donoughmore.|
|Refs:||Drawing(s) for porch and robing room, signed 'Welland & Gillespie' and dated 1861, in RCB Library, portfolio 27; Irish Times, 9 Oct 1863; DB 5, 15 Oct 1863, 173.|
|Building:||CO. ROSCOMMON, KILKEEVIN (CASTLEREA), CHURCH (CI)|
|Nature:||Extensive repairs and improvements. Side galleries removed, west gallery refrontd, new pews new floors, new pulpit, reader's desk and chancel fittings. Cost over £500. Builder: Robert Smith, Athlone. Stained glass triplet window presented by T. Wills-Sandford.
Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 18, no. 209, 23 Sep 1876, 287.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SEAFIELD ROAD (CLONTARF), RECTORY|
|Nature:||New rectory on site granted by Mr Vernon at 'almost nominal rent'. FS laid 14 Aug 1877. Builder: George Tyrrell, Russell Place. To cost about £2000.
IB 19, 15 Aug 1877, 243; Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 19, no. 222, 1 Sep 1877, 280.
|Building:||CO. WEXFORD, BUNCLODY, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI, NEWTOWNBARRY PARISH)|
|Nature:||New west front in memory of Robert Westley Hall-Dare & Charles Hall-Dare. Erected to designs by William Burges under supervision of RBP. Church reopened 14 Aug 1878. Contractor: Faircloth, Carlow.|
|Refs:||J. Mordaunt Crook, William Burges and the High Victorian Dream (1981), 209; IB 20, 1 Sep 1878, 247|
|Building:||CO. WESTMEATH, KILLUCAN, CHURCH OF ST ETCHEN (CI)|
|Nature:||Church reopened after thorough renovation. Gallery removed, new openwork roof put up, new floors and seats, addition of chancel and vestry room, 6 stained glass windows. Contractor: Samuel Bolton.
Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 20, no. 229, 1 Apr 1878,101; Irish Times, 21 Oct 1878; exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 317.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLONTARF, GLEBE HOUSE|
|Nature:||New glebe house completed for £1500. Gabled structure in Elizabethan style. Builder: George Tyrrell, Russell Place.
Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 20, no. 229, 1 Apr 1878,104.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GREEN LANES (CLONTARF), PAROCHIAL HALL|
|Nature:||RBP probably the 'Mr Phillips' who submitted unselected design|
|Refs:||IB 21, 1 Jan 1899, 15|