Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Plasterer and painter, of Dublin, active from the 1790s until the 1820s. He can probably be identified as John Pemberton (1776-1821), son of BENJAMIN PEMBERTON[2]  BENJAMIN PEMBERTON[2] and Mary Ann Gumley.(1) John Pemberton was admitted a Freeman of the City of Dublin as a member of the Plasterers' Guild by virtue of birth at Michaelmas 1795.(2) He is presumably the same person as the John Pemberton who appears at various addresses in Wilson's Dublin Directory over the period 1798-1825, being listed as follows: 'painter and plasterer' at 134 Great Britain Street, 1798; 'stucco plasterer and house painter' at 24 Wellington Street, 1816, and at 24 Paradise Row from 1818. 'Mr. Pemberton, Paradise-row' was a subscriber to Humphrey's Irish Builder's Guide (1813) and to William Stitt's The Practical Architect's Ready Assistant; or Builder's Complete Companion (Dublin, 1819).   According to his fellow-tradesmen, writing in March 1834, he 'died in good circumstances about 1820'.(3)


(1) www.familysearch.org.
(2) 'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', The Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2, 98.
(3) Royal Irish Academy, Haliday MS 4B 31;  this manuscript is a copy of a report presented to Daniel O'Connell in 1834 to support the argument for repealing the Act of Union by describing the catastrophic impact the Act had had on the tradesmen of Dublin.