PAPWORTH, JOHN THOMAS
- Born: 1809 Died: 1841
Architect, of Dublin. John Thomas Papworth, the eldest son of GEORGE PAPWORTH and elder brother of COLLINS EDGAR PAPWORTH and CHARLES WILLIAM PAPWORTH , was born in Dublin, on 17 December 1809. He became his father's pupil, subsequently his assistant, and - on the evidence of Wilson's Dublin Directory which lists 'Papworth & Son' in the editions for 1835-1837 - eventually his partner. From 1827 onwards he was a frequent exhibitor at the Royal Hibernian Academy,(1) though how many of his drawings were of buildings designed by his father rather than by himself is not clear.
On 26 April 1838 Papworth was elected from among nine applicants to succeed HENRY AARON BAKER as master of the Royal Dublin Society's School of Drawing in Architecture. He held the post, which also involved designing new buildings for the Society, for a little over three years; towards the end of this period he fell ill. On 19 August 1841 he was granted leave of absence to recover his health.(2) He went to Paris, where he died on 6 October 1841. His father designed the monument over his grave in the cemetery at Montmartre.(3) He had married Anais Muzard in Dublin on 10 March 1838.(4)
RIAI: founder member and first hon. secretary, 1839.(45
RHA: elected associate, 18 January 1836.(6)
Addresses:(7) 6 George's Place, Dublin, 1827-1832; 100 Marlborough Street, 1833-1839; 35 Holles Street, 1840-1841.
Home: Kingstown, 1839.(8)
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the note on Papworth in APSD, P, 40, which amplifies the briefer notice in B 13, 31 Mar 1855, 150.
(1) He exhibited 27 drawings in all, of which 11 were unidentified or ideal designs; for the identified designs see under WORKS. An unidentified and undated design for a monument - an obelisk on a Greek Doric base - is in the RIBA Drawings Collection, see Jill Lever, ed., Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects O-R (1976), 20.
(2) Information about Papworth's time at the Royal Dublin Society is from John Turpin, A School of art in Dublin since the eighteenth century (1995), 106; acording to H.F. Berry, History of the Royal Dublin Society (1915), 132, the date of his appointment was 31 May 1838.
(3) George Papworth exhibited his design for the monument 'now erecting' at the RHA in 1842 (no. 453).
(4) www.churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie (last visited Jun 2012).
(5) Freeman's Journal, 26 Aug 1839; Frederick O'Dwyer, 'The Foundation and early years of the RIAI', in J. Graby, ed.150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: RIAI 1839-1989 (1989), 9.
(6) W.G. Strickland, A Dictionary of Irish Artists (1913), II, 633.
(7) From RHA list of exhibitors, unless otherwise stated.
(8) Post Office Directory (1839).
10 work entries listed in chronological order for PAPWORTH, JOHN THOMAS
Sort by date | Sort alphabetically
|Building:||SCOTLAND, MOFFAT, LARCH HILL|
|Nature:||JTP exhibits design of 'Larch Hill, the seat of Captain James Fyffe Moffat, Scotland' at RHA|
|Refs:||RHA 1829, no. 264|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, KILLINEY (NEAR), ANGLESEY|
|Nature:||JTP exhibits perspective view of 'Anglesey, the seat of F.C. Parker' at RHA, 1929 (but designed by G. Papworth?)|
|Refs:||RHA 1829, no. 259|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BENBURB STREET, COLLINS BARRACKS (FORMERLY ROYAL BARRACKS)|
|Nature:||JTP exhibits 'Design for a Triumphal Arch, as an entrance to the Royal Barracks, on the proposed new line of quay to the King's Bridge...as laid down by Mr G. Papworth' at RHA.|
|Refs:||RHA 1830, no. 272|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLOUCESTER STREET, GLOUCESTER TERRACE|
|Nature:||JTP exhibits drawing of same at RHA, 1831.|
|Refs:||RHA 1831, no. 256|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, COLLEGE GREEN, TRINITY COLLEGE, MUSEUM, LECTURE ROOMS & CAMPANILE (PROPOSED)|
|Nature:||Competition entrant. Design exh. RHA, 1834.|
|Refs:||RHA 1834, nos. 265,267,269; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 132|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLONTARF, CHURCH|
|Nature:||JTP exhibits elevation for 'Gothic Chapel proposed to be erected in Clontarf' at RHA. (Perhaps for RC church of St John the Baptist, Clontarf.)
|Refs:||RHA 1834, no. 270|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLASNEVIN, PROSPECT CEMETERY, CURRAN MEMORIAL|
|Nature:||Richly sculpted granite Doric sarcophagus 'modelled on the tomb of Scipio Barbatus at Rome' in memory of John Philpot Curran.|
|Refs:||Design exh. RHA 1840, no. 344; Irish Penny Journal I (1840-41), 409-10(illus.); APSD, P, 40; W.J. Fitzpatrick, History of the Dublin Catholic cemeteries (1900), 26-31(illus.)|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, NORTH STRAND ROAD, CHURCH (CI)|
|Nature:||JTP exhibits elevations for 'Episcopal Chapel proposed to be erected on the North Strand' at RHA.|
|Refs:||RHA 1836, nos.218,238|
|Building:||?, ?, HOUSES (002)|
|Nature:||JTP exhibits 'Perspective view of two Cottages erected for J.S. Emerson, Esq.' at RHA.|
|Refs:||RHA 1835, no. 233|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, KILDARE STREET, LEINSTER HOUSE (ROYAL DUBLIN SOCIETY)|
|Nature:||Alteration of north wing to provide museum and other improvements, including large lecture room with central skylight; 'in progress' in 1841. Work completed by George Papworth.|
|Refs:||Designs exh. RHA 1840, nos. 332,242; 1841, no. 414; APSD, P, 40; David J. Griffin & Caroline. Pegum, Leinster House (Dublin: IAA & OPW, 2000), 72-73,Pl.126.|