OUTHWAITE, JOHN HENRY *
- Born: - Died: -
Architectural sculptor, active in Dublin in the early 1860s. John Henry Outhwaite was probably English. With CHARLES WILLIAM PURDY he set up in business as PURDY & OUTHWAITE at 206 Great Brunswick Street, Dublin, in 1859 or early 1860. The firm moved to Westland Row later in 1860 but, despite its apparent success in attracting business, went bankrupt in June 1861.(1) Outhwaite's name does not appear in Thom's Directory for 1863, though he may possibly have continued to work for another employer. Outhwaite of Great Brunswick Street is credited with executing the 'exquisite' font in Henry Hill's church of St Edmund (CI), Coolkenure, Co. Cork., consecrated in August 1865.(2)
(1) Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (1997), 338.
(2) DB 7, 1 Sep 1865, 214.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for OUTHWAITE, JOHN HENRY *
Sort by date | Sort alphabetically
|Building:||CO. CORK, COOLKELURE, CHURCH OF ST EDMUND (CI)|
|Nature:||'Exquisite' font by Outhwaite, Great Brunswick St, Dublin.|
|Refs:||DB 7, 1 Sep 1865, 214|