Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

County surveyor for Queen's County (Laois), 1841-1845, and Co. Waterford, 1845-1849. Henry Owen, a son of JACOB OWEN JACOB OWEN , who was born in 1815, was admitted to Trinity College, Dublin, on 21 October 1833 at the age of sixteen but does not appear to have graduated.(1) He then became a pupil in his father's office. In 1838 he competed successfully in the county surveyorship examination; the fact that he was both a son and a pupil of one of the three examiners attracted some adverse comment.(3) In 1839 he was employed to supervise road works in Co. Kerry for the Board of Works, which appointed him to the post of temporary drawing and measuring clerk in March of the following year. In August 1841 he was appointed county surveyor of Queen's County, replacing EDWARD V. FORREST EDWARD V. FORREST , who had been dismissed. Four years later, on 16 August 1845, he was transferred at his own request to the surveyorship of Waterford county and city, following the death of CHARLES FORTH. H CHARLES FORTH. H e resigned in September 1849, when his place was taken by HENRY BRETT. HENRY BRETT. (6) Nothing is known of his subsequent career. He may be the Henry Owen who is recorded in the English census of 1851 as a thirty-six-year-old civil engineer, born in Portsea, Hampshire, who was being held as a debtor in Lancaster Castle when the census was taken.

Henry Owen was married to Maria O'Shaughnessy.(7) The birth of their son at Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, was announced in the Cork Examiner on 24 May 1847.(5) Their daughter, Mary, married Edward Malins, MD, in 1869.

ICEI: member by 1849.(7)



All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from Brendan O'Donoghue, The Irish County Surveyors 1834-1944 (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007), 275-6, which gives the fullest account of Owen's career, and from the researches of Frederick O'Dwyer (personal communication).

(1) APSD VI, O, 54.
(2) Alumni Dublinenses, which describes him as the son of 'Jacobus, architectus' and states (surely incorrectly, as his father was still working at Portsmouth at that date) that he was born in Dublin.
(3) Frederick O'Dwyer, 'The architecture of the Board of Public Works 1831-1923', Public Works: the architecture of the Office of Public Works 1831-1987 (AAI, 1987), 13.
(5) Cork Examiner, 24 May 1847.
(5) Ballina Chronicle, 10 Oct 1849.
(6) List of members in TICEI 3 (1847-49).
(7) The date of the marriage is given as 1837 in www.familysearch.org.

2 work entries listed in chronological order for OWEN, HENRY H.

Sort by date | Sort alphabetically

Date: 1842
Nature: Road between Castletown Church and Tankardstown Bridge on Castlecomer to Castledermot route.
Refs: Drawing(s) in NA, OPW Engineering & Architectural Drawings - Roads and Bridges collection, OPW5HC/6/0146

Date: 1847
Nature: 5-arched bridge. FS laid by Sir R. Keane, 18 Sep 1847. Contractor Hamilton White. 1847. HHO 'largely responsible' for its completion.
Refs: Inscription on bridge (B. O'D.); Brendan O'Donoghue, The Irish County Surveyors 1834-1944 (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007), 276