O'SULLIVAN, JAMES WILLIAM
- Born: 1884ca Died: 1972
Architect and engineer, of Dublin. According to the 1911 census of Ireland, James William O'Sullivan was born in Dublin in 1883 or 1884. Details of his training and early career are not known. In the census return he is described as 'Architect's assistant'. In about 1919 he entered into a partnership with the the engineer PATRICK J. FOLEY , which, as FOLEY & amp; O'SULLIVAN , lasted until 1932 or 1933. After the ending of the partnership, O'Sullivan continued to practise on his own. He probably retired in 1954; from 1955 onwards only his home address is given in the lists of members of the RIAI. He died on 14 April 1972, his wife Lucy having predeceased him, and was buried in Deansgrange cemetery. His pupils and assistants included Kenneth Barry O'Sullivan and ALFRED PHILLIPS.
AAI: 'William O'Sullivan' elected member, 1903; no longer on list of members after 1917.
ICEI: elected member, 4 December 1933.(1)
RIAI: elected member, 1919; elected fellow by 1947.
Addresses: Work: 35 Exchequer Street, 1919-1922;(2) Grafton Chambers, 102 Grafton Street, 1922-1937; 104 Grafton Street, 1938-1951; Barry House, 7-8 Fleet Street, 1952-1954.
Home: 7 Glenageary Road, Dun Laoghaire, 1905-1912; 2 Mount Pleasant, Sandycove Road, Dun Laoghaire, 1913-1915; 7 Seven Houses, Dun Laoghaire, 1911; 5 Mellifont Avenue, Dun Laoghaire, 1916 until death.
See WORKS; see also works of FOLEY & amp; O'SULLIVAN.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from AAI, RIAI and ICEImembership lists and Thom's directories.
(1) TICEI 60 (1933-34), 70.
(2) IB 61, 6 Dec 1919, 563; 64, 12 Aug 1922, 553. IB 63, 18 Jun 1921, 430, gives their address as 51a Dawson St, although giving it as Exchequer St in both March 1921 and February 1922.
10 work entries listed in chronological order for O'SULLIVAN, JAMES WILLIAM
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, EBLANA AVENUE, TECHNICAL SCHOOLS|
|Nature:||Adds. & alts.|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS 0377|
|Building:||CO. WEXFORD, GOREY, DISTRICT HOSPITAL|
|Nature:||New. By 'O'Sullivan & Jordan' (i.e. J.W. O'S and Michael Jordan?), for Wexford County Board of Health. Contractor: Moses Somer.|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS 0328|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, YORK ROAD, CONVENT OF LITTLE SISTERS OF THE ASSUMPTION|
|Nature:||Adds. & alts. Contractor: Thomas McGovern.|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS 0201, 0564 (includes drawings)|
|Building:||CO. WEXFORD, WEXFORD, JOSEPH STREET, CHRISTIAN BROTHERS NAT'IONAL SCHOOLS|
|Nature:||New? school for Rev. Brother Moran.|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS 0545|
|Building:||CO. KILDARE, MONASTEREVIN, CHRISTIAN BROTHERS MONASTERY|
|Nature:||New. Contractor: Whelan & Nagle, Ltd.|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS 0300, 0470|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLASNEVIN, ST VINCENT'S NATIONAL SCHOOL|
|Nature:||New school for Christian Brothers. Contractor: J. O'Callaghan|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS 0242|
|Building:||CO. GALWAY, TUAM, CHRISTIAN BROTHERS NATIONAL SCHOOLS|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS 0556|
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, THURLES, CHRISTIAN BROTHERS' NATIONAL SCHOOLS|
|Nature:||For Brother E.J. Gleeson|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS 0406,0537|
|Building:||CO. WEXFORD, ENNISCORTHY, CHRISTIAN BROTHERS NATIONAL SCHOOLS|
|Nature:||Contractor: James J. Smith.|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS 0346, 0514, 0546|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SUNDRIVE ROAD (CRUMLIN), BILLIARD ROOMS|
|Nature:||Extension by 'John William O'Sullivan' for J. Dempsey.|
|Refs:||IB 91, 16 Apr 1949, 356|