O'ROURKE, AUBREY VINCENT
- Born: 1885 Died: 1928
Architect, of Dublin. Aubrey Vincent O'Rourke was born at 6 St Mary's Villas, Drumcondra, on 22 May 1885, a son of Francis Patrick O'Rourke, accountant, and his wife Martha O'Rourke, née Rafferty.(1) HORACE TENNYSON O'ROURKE was his elder brother. The directories suggest that his father died while he was still a child. Nothing is known of his education, but by 1909 he had become the assistant of JAMES PURCELL WRENN , with whom he entered the Dublin Municipal Buildings competition.(2) In 1914 he opened his own office at Prudential Chambers, College Green,(3) and in the following years established an extensive commercial practice, his commissions including three cinemas. In 1919 he formed a very brief partnership with ALFRED EDWIN JONES , which appears to have lasted only a matter of months.(4) He died of cancer of the pancreas as the relatively early age of 43 on 4 March 1928 at his home at 45 Wellington Road, Dublin, survived by his wife, Elsie.(5) His pupils and assistants included HERBERT GEORGE SIMMS.
The Irish Architectural Archive holds a few designs by O'Rourke (Acc. 79/10.26-29, 80/10.6,7).
AAI: elected member, 1920.(7)
RIAI: elected member, 1920.(8)
Addresses:(9) Work: Prudential Chambers, 11 College Green, <=1915 until death.
Home: Belview Terrace, Dollymount, <=1892->=1900; Bellevue, Haddon Road, Clontarf, <=1903-1916; Breffni, 1 Rutland Terrace, Clontarf, 1917-1927; 45 Wellington Road at time of death.
A brief obituary of O'Rourke is in IB 70, 17 Mar 1928, ?.
(1) Copy of birth certificate in Jones file.
(2) IB 55, 12 Apr 1913, 259.
(3) He was working from his widowed mother's address, Haddon Road, Clontarf, until the spring of 1914, according to a notice of works in IB 56, 28 Mar 1914, 191, but had acquired his new office address in time for the publication of Thom's Directory for 1915. On the evidence of the directories he continued to live with his mother for many years.
(4) The only evidence for this is Jones's own account of O'Rourke's life in Jones file.
(5) Copy of death certificate in Jones file; a brief notice of his death is in IB 70, 17 Mar 1928, 242.
(6) Lists of members in AAI Green Books.
(7) JRIAI (1921), 2.
(8) From RIAI lists of members and Thom's directories.
24 work entries listed in chronological order for O'ROURKE, AUBREY VINCENT
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, LORD EDWARD STREET, NO. 021-25 (MUNICIPAL BUILDINGS) (PROPOSED)|
|Nature:||Competition entry with James P. Wrenn.|
|Refs:||IB 55, 12 Apr 1913, 259(illus in supplement?)|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CIRCULAR ROAD NORTH, NO. 376 (PHIBSBOROUGH PICTURE HOUSE)|
|Nature:||New cinema at Blacquiere Bridge. Contractor: John Dillon, Drumcondra. Opened, May 1914. New cinema.opened, May 1914. 'The interior of the theatre at once impresses the visitor with a feeling of comfort and elegance, and the spacious and luxurious gallery is approached by a handsome staircase. The lighting is effected by electricity on the latest Continental idea of completely concealed reflected light, the effect of sunrise and sunset being charming.'
IB 55, 19 Jul 1913, 476; 56, 28 Mar 1914, 191; Freeman's Journal, 23 May 1914; Irish Times, 23 May 1914..
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, O'CONNELL STREET UPPER, NO. 062 (PILLAR PICTURE HOUSE)|
|Nature:||Contractor: John Dillon, Drumcondra.|
IB 55, 8 Nov 1913, 713; 56, 28 Mar,4 Jul 1914, 191,419; 57, 27 Feb 1915, 98; Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 216-17.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MARY STREET, NO. 012-13 (MARY STREET PICTURE HOUSE)|
|Refs:||IB 56, 11 Apr 1914, 229|
|Building:||CO. MEATH, KELLS, MARKET STREET, SHOP (P.J. FOX)|
|Nature:||Drapery premises of P.J. Fox about to be reconstructed, with ornamental shop front, structural alts. & extensions.|
|Refs:||IB 57, 31 Jul 1915, 346|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CAPEL STREET, NO. 137-138|
|Nature:||Alts. & extension being carried out for Mssrs. Boland, Ltd. Contractor: J. Dillon.|
|Refs:||IB 57, 4 Dec 1915, 525|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HARCOURT STREET, NO. 037|
|Nature:||Partial rebuilding. Contractor: Farmer Bros.|
|Refs:||IB 57, 4 Dec 1915, 526|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, IRISHTOWN ROAD, BOTTLEMAKERS' HALL|
|Nature:||New club premises for Irish Glass Bottlemakers' Society nearly complete. Builder: John Dillon.|
|Refs:||IB 57, 8 May 1915, 221|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HENRY STREET, NO. 006 (SAMUELS)|
|Nature:||Temporary premises for Samuels, jewellers.|
|Refs:||IB 58, 30 Sep 1916, 484|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HENRY STREET, NO. 016 (JAMES O'DWYER & CO.)|
|Nature:||Rebuilding of tailor's premises. Contractor: Shortall & Co.|
|Refs:||IB 58, 23 Dec 1916, 639; 59, 26 May 1917, 259|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HENRY STREET, NO. 049 (MENZIES & CO.)|
|Nature:||Rebuilding of millinery premises. Contractor: Shortall & Co.|
|Refs:||IB 59, 23 Jun 1917, 314|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, O'CONNELL STREET LOWER, NO. 035-39 (METROPOLE CINEMA & RESTAURANT)|
|Nature:||New cinema on site of Hotel Metropole. Contractor: H. & J. Martin. Opened 1921. New canopy erected over restaurant entrance in Prince's St, 1927.|
Drawings in IAA, Scott, Tallon, Walker Collection, 79/10.27/1-4; IB 61, 3,31 May 1919, 204,276; 63, 24 Sep 1921, 634; 69, 30 Apr 1927, 321; B 116, 9 May 1919, ?.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HUME STREET, NO. 003-6 (CITY OF DUBLIN SKIN & CANCER HOSPITAL)|
|Nature:||New building for committee of Cancer Research Fund; structural alts and adds.|
Elevation in IAA, Scott, Tallon, Walker Collection, 79/10.28/1; IB 65, 10 Feb,8 Sep 1923, 101,692; Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 3-4.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, TALBOT STREET, NO. 079 (GUINEY & CO.)|
|Nature:||New building with shop front nearing completion. Contractor: Brennan & Sons.|
|Refs:||IB 65, 10 Feb 1923, 101|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRAFTON STREET, NO. 105-106 (HORTON'S)|
|Nature:||Reconstruction of premises on corner of Grafton Street and Suffolk Street for Mssrs. Horton. Contractor: G. & T. Crampton, Ltd, Hammersmith Works, Ballsbridge.
IB 66, 25 Jun 1924, 377; Irish Times, 9 Oct 1924(illus.)
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, INNS QUAY, NO. 010-12 (FOUR COURTS HOTEL)|
|Nature:||Reconstruction after being 'almost wrecked' in 1922. Extra storey and new tea room added Concert hall converted into dining room. New lift. Garage added. General contractors: Geo. W. Scott & Co., 26 Usher's Quay.
Irish Times, 26 Nov 1924(illus.)
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GARDINER STREET LOWER, NO. 071-73 (MORAN'S HOTEL)|
|Nature:||Rebuilding of hotel destroyed in Jul 1922. Plans approved by City Architect, Feb 1924. Open for business by Jun 1925. Ruabon brick frontage; main entrance steps of Carrara marble with black Aberdeen granite at the sides. Spacious ballroom in basement. Contractors: H. & J. Martin. Plasterwork by M. Creedon. Ornamental canopy by J. & C. McGloughlin.
|Refs:||Irish Times, 21 Feb 1924, 4 Jun 1924(illus.); IB 66, 23 Feb,29 Nov 1924, 149,1005|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CIRCULAR ROAD SOUTH, NO. 098-100 (SYNAGOGUE)|
|Nature:||New synagogue on site of Greenville Hall. Plastering by M. Creedon. (Closed 1986)|
Undated design for 7-branched candelabrum, perhaps for this synagogue, in IAA, Scott, Tallon, Walker Collection, 79/10.29/1; IB 66, 29 Nov 1924, 1005; 70, 17 Mar 1928, 242; Irish Times, 25 Mar 1926 (illus.); Sharman Kadish, Jewish Heritage in England (English Heritage, 2006), 206; Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 634.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CRUMLIN ROAD (DOLPHIN'S BARN), HOUSES (052)|
|Nature:||Proposed development of new street with 52 houses, off Crumlin Rd, to S. of Mounteagle House, for Mrs Hugh Doyle. Not executed.|
|Refs:||Site plan in IAA, Acc.80/10.7; IB 67, 12 Dec 1925, 1013|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRATTAN CRESCENT (INCHICORE), SHOP & HOUSE|
|Nature:||Plans prepared, for Patrick Munroe.|
|Refs:||Drawings in IAA, Scott Tallon & Walker Collection, 79/10.26/1-6; IB 68, 6 Feb 1926, 101|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, TALBOT STREET, NO. 003-3A|
|Nature:||Plans for partial rebulding and structural alts.for A. Zolkie approved by City Architect, Mar 1926.
IB 68, 20 Mar 1926, 221; Irish Times, 25 Mar 1926.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, GEORGE'S STREET UPPER, NO. 114-115 (REAR)|
|Nature:||Proposed new store at rear, for Boland Ltd.|
|Refs:||Site plan, dated 11 Mar 1926, in IAA, Acc. 80/10.6|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CHARLEMONT STREET, NO. 002|
|Refs:||IB 70, 18 Feb 1928, 150|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, O'CONNELL STREET LOWER, NO. 048|
|Nature:||Reconstruction of basement, for Arthur Newman.|
|Refs:||IB 69, 1 Oct 1927, 730|