Engineer, of Dublin and Carlow. James Ignatius O'Donnell, a son of Thomas O'Donnell, accountant to Dublin Corporation, and his wife Catherine, née Comerford, was born in Carlow on 31 July 1867. He studied at University College, Dublin, from 1887 to 1888 and at the Royal College of Science and Royal University of Ireland from 1888 to 1891. He then entered the office of the Dublin City Engineer, SPENCER HARTY , by whom he was employed as an assistant engineer on the Dublin Main Drainage Scheme and on projects connected with the Dublin water supply. He remained in Dublin until at least 1900, but by the end of 1904 had an address in Trim, Co. Meath. In 1905 he was appointed engineer to Carlow Rural District Council. In his 1911 census return he describes himself as an engineering inspector to the Local Government Board. By that time he had been married for four years to his Co. Monaghan-born wife, Olive, and had a daughter, Olive Kathleen.
Inst.CE: elected associate member 4 December 1894; erased from membership, 25 November 1913.
Addresses: St Peter's, Ailesbury Road, Donnybrook, Dublin, 1894; Glencar, Eglinton Road, Donnybrook, 1895->=1900; Trim, Co. Meath, 1904; Engineer's Office, Carlow, 1905; 17 Athy Street, Carlow, 1911.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the 1911 census of Ireland, http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ (last visited Oct 2009), and from the records of Inst.CE, London, kindly supplied by the archivist, Mrs Carol Morgan.
www.familysearch.org; evidence of his father's profession is found in the Post Office Dublin Directory (1896), 225,514.
IB 47, 7 Oct 1905, 714. He may also be the 'Mr O'Donnell' who was architect to Castlecomer Rural District Council in 1911 (see Freeman's Journal, 14 Apr 1911).