Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Carpenter and builder, of Dublin. Benjamin Norwood is probably the person of the same name, a son of John and Elizabeth Norwood(1) of John's Quay, who was baptised in St Mark's Church of Ireland Church on 11 August 1785.(2)  He was awarded a premium by the Dublin Society's School of Drawing in Architecture in 1802.(3) He is listed as a carpenter and builder in Wilson's Dublin Directory with addresses at 120 Townsend Street from 1817 to 1819, at 51 Townsend Street from 1820 to 1829 and at 11 Nelson Street in 1835.  He is named in a list of the master carpenters and builders of Dublin in March 1834,(4) and is named as a patron of the Aged and Infirm Carpenters' Asylum in 1835.(5) He may be the Mr Norwood who was a subscriber to William Stitt's The Practical Architect's Ready Assistant; or Builder's Complete Companion (Dublin, 1819).  He married Jennet Beith on 6 December 1821 and had at least  four sons: John, Benjamin, William and Robert.(6)



(1) His father's business may have been a ships' chandlery, as an Elizabeth Norwood is recorded as a ships' chandler on City Quay in 1898, see Sheila Martin, ed., Directory of Merchants & Traders of Dublin in 1798 (Genealogical Society of Ireland, 2000), 127.
(2) Irish Genealogy, http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/ (last visited, May 2013). 
(3) MS. transcript from RDS minutes of School of Drawing in Architecture admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).
(4) Royal Irish Academy, Haliday MS 4B 31;  this manuscript is a copy of a report presented to Daniel O'Connell in 1834 to support the argument for repealing the Act of Union by describing the catastrophic impact the Act had had on the tradesmen of Dublin.
(5) Freeman's Journal, 23 Nov 1835.
(6) See note 2, above.

2 work entries listed in chronological order for NORWOOD, BENJAMIN *

Sort by date | Sort alphabetically

Date: 1830s
Nature: 'Nos. 34-41 have granite rustication to the hall floor, Doric doorcases and cast-iron balconettes.   They were built in the early 1830s by Benjamin Norwood, a builder from Nelson Street.'(Casey)
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), , 574.

Date: 1832
Nature: To build 'intended terrace of 4 3-bay, 4-storey houses between Lad Lane and Upper Fitzwilliam St. for Wide Street Commissioners (but not built in conformity with elevation in Wide Streets Commissioners Maps?).
Refs: 'Sketch [elevation] of intended improvement proposed to be made by B. Norwood in Baggot St beween Lad Lane and Fitzwilliam St. instead of the wall which is there at present', Jun 1832, in Wide Streets Commissioners Maps, WSC/MAPS/450/1, repr. Lalor's Encyclopedia of Ireland, 1138 (information from Dr John Montagu, Dublin, Dec 2011).