Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Building contractor of Dublin, active from the 1840s or earlier until 1871. John Nolan was running a building business at 3 Meredyth Place, Gloucester Street North, from 1847 or earlier.(1) During the 1860s and up until 1871 he carried out a number of important contracts, most of which were for buildings designed by the architects WILLIAM GEORGE MURRAY  WILLIAM GEORGE MURRAY and JOHN MCCURDY JOHN MCCURDY . In about 1870 or 1871 he took his son FRANCIS NOLAN  FRANCIS NOLAN into partnership, and probably died soon afterwards, in 1872 or 1873. He has disappeared from the directories by 1874.


(1) He may be the same person as the John Nolan, builder, of 23 Portland Row, North Gloucester St, who is listed in The Post Office Directory for 1844.