- Born: 1812 Died: 1886
Dublin city engineer, 1851-1886. Parke - or Park - Neville was born in Dublin in 1812, the eldest surviving son of ARTHUR NEVILLE. (1) He was articled to CHARLES VIGNOLES and also served a pupilage to WILLIAM FARRELL . He joined his father's land surveying business and from 1845 until 1851 held the post of City Land Surveyor for Dublin jointly with his father. In 1851 he competed successfully for the new office of City Engineer and Local Surveyor, later designated City and Waterworks Engineer. Probably the most important of his many achievements during his thirty-five-year tenure of the office - which included repaving the streets and reconstructing the sewerage system - was the execution of the Vartry water works scheme.(2) In the latter part of his career his chief preoccupation was the introduction of a main drainage system for the city, which was the subject of a Royal Commission in 1879.(3)
Although Neville requested leave of absence from work in 1881 on account of poor health,(4) he remained at his post until the end of his life. On holiday in the autumn of 1886 he visited several English cities to look at public baths and wash-houses, but was evidently ill when he returned to Dublin at the beginning of October. He nevertheless continued to carry out his duties until two days before his death, which took place at his house in Pembroke Road on 30 October 1886.(5) He was survived by a widow.(6) SPENCER HARTY succeeded him in the post of city engineer.
Neville's pupils and assistants included SAMUEL GORDON FRASER , JOHN PANSING and RICHARD WALTER WALSH.
The Irish Architectural Archive has two drawings by Neville: one is a plan for strengthening the river wall of the Dodder, 1847 (McCurdy & Mitchell collection, 79/17.15), the other is for alterations to Kilmainham Gaol, 1884 (82/49.71/1).
RIAI:(7) elected associate, 1840;(8) elected fellow, having been proposed by William Farrell and seconded by JOSEPH WELLAND , 30 June 1843;(9) council member, 1846-1851,1864-65; hon. secretary, 1853-61; reads paper on sewerage of towns and buildings, 6 May 1854;(10) vice-president, 1867-70, 1874-75.
Inst.CE: elected member, 5 December 1865.
ICEI:(11) council member, 1856-59; president, 1881-1883; trustee of Mullins Bequest Fund, 1882.(12)
RIA: elected member, 8 May 1854.(13)
Addresses:(14) Work: 14 York Street, <=1824-1846; 40 York St 1847-1853; City Hall, 1855 until death.
Home: 79 Leeson Street Lower, 1854-56; Southill Cottage, Blackrock, 1857-1862; 1 Mount Street Crescent, 1863-1866; 4 Waterloo Road, 1867-1869; 68 Pembroke Road, 1870 until death.
See WORKS and BIBLIOGRAPHY.
All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from the obituary of Parke Neville in Min.Proc.Inst.CE 88 (1886-87, Pt.I), 424-427. His death is also noted in TICEI 18 (1886-87), Annual Report of Council, 1-2, IB 28, 1 Nov 1886, 294, and B 51, 13 Nov 1886, 694. A portrait of Neville is in the collection of the Insitution of Civil Engineers of Ireland.
(1) He was presumably related to the Parke P. Neville, who was granted the Freedom of the City of Dublin in 1813, see CARD XVI, 432.
(2) For an account of adoption and execution of the scheme see Min.Proc.Inst.CE 38 (1873-74, Pt. II), 8-32; see also DB 1, 1 Sep 1859, 107-8. Neville also read a paper on the Dublin water supply to the Institute of Mechanical Engineers in 1865 (B 23, 19 Aug 1865, 584).
(3) See B 37, 25 Oct 1879, 1170.
(4) IB 23, 15 Feb 1881, ?.
(5) Notice of death in IB 28, 1 Nov 1886, 294.
(6) RIAI council meeting minutes, 1 Nov 1886, 251.
(7) Information from Jones's transcripts from Thom's directories unless otherwise stated.
(8) Letter of recommendation from Richard Morrison and others, 2 Mar 1840, in RIAI archives.
(9) RIAI council meeting minutes, 12 Dec 1842, 19, 30 Jun 1843, 20.
(10) B 12, 27 May 1854, 278.
(11) From Jones transcripts from lists of officers in Thom's directories and TICEI unless otherwise stated.
(12) TICEI 14 (1881-1883), ?.
(13) Jones, source not given.
(14) From Wilson's and Thom's directories (or Jones's transcripts therefrom).
23 work entries listed in chronological order for NEVILLE, PARKE
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, NORTH STRAND ROAD, CHURCH (CI)|
|Nature:||Designs for same.|
|Refs:||Drawings in NLI, old ref. Ad 1478-1481;|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, BLACKROCK, MERRION AVENUE, WOODBINE COTTAGE|
|Refs:||Plan, s. & d. 1838, in NLI, old ref. AD 1486|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, MONKSTOWN, BRIGHTON AVENUE (OR TERRACE?), HOUSES|
|Nature:||Designs for houses for Mr Barton.|
|Refs:||13 drawings, s. & d. 10 Aug 1838, in NLI, old ref. A.D. 1449-1461 (1 of these designs repr. in The Architecture of Ireland in Drawings and Paintings (1975), no. 85).|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, MONKSTOWN, SEAPOINT AVENUE, BRIGHTON TERRACE, HOUSES|
|Nature:||Designs for houses for Mr Barton.
13 drawings for houses on Brighton Terrace and Brighton Avenue, s. & d. 10 Aug 1838. in NLI, old ref. A.D. 1449-1461 (1 of these drawings repr. in The Architecture of Ireland in Drawings and Paintings (1975), No. 85).
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, MALAHIDE, ROYAL HOTEL|
|Nature:||Designs for new hotel.|
|Refs:||Drawings, s. & d. 1843, in NLI, old ref. AD 1462-1468|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRAFTON STREET, HOUSE|
|Refs:||IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44, citing drawing in NA/PRO Wide Streets Commissioners maps, 476|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRAFTON STREET, NO. 050|
|Refs:||Signed & dated drawing in Dublin City Archives, WSC/MAPS/450/1|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, INCHICORE ROAD, KILMAINHAM GAOL|
|Nature:||Design for alts.|
|Refs:||Drawing, signed and dated, in IAA, Acc. 82/49.71/1|
|Building:||CO. WICKLOW, GLENART CASTLE (FORMERLY KILCARRA CASTLE)|
|Nature:||Designs for new drawing room and other alts. For Hon. Granville Leveson Proby (later 3rd Earl of Carysfort). Contractor: John Butler.|
|Refs:||9 drawings, s. & d. 1846-47, and estimate by John Butler, in NLI, old ref. AD 1469-1477|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RIVER DODDER|
|Nature:||Proposed repair and strengthening embankment on of W side of Dodder and river wall.
|Refs:||Plans and sections in IAA, McCurdy & Mitchell Collection, 79/17.15/1.|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST STEPHEN'S GREEN, PARK|
|Nature:||Plaque in Green (near statue of Lord Eglinton) commemorated drainage of same to plans of PN. Contractor: John Irwine Whitty, 1 Henrietta St.|
|Refs:||IB 36, 1 Jul 1894, 148|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SEWERAGE SCHEME|
|Nature:||With John Bazalgette. Laid before Corporation in 1853 but not carried out for at least 16 years.|
|Refs:||Reads paper on subject to Social Science Association, 1861 (summary inB 19, 31 Aug 1861, 595); IB 11, 15 Jun 1869, ?|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, BOHERNABREENA, RESERVOIR|
|Nature:||Scheme proposed by PN but not carried out until 1880s to design by Richard Hassard.|
|Refs:||R.C. Cox & M.H. Gould, Civil Engineering Heritage: Ireland (1998), 85|
|Building:||CO. WICKLOW, ROUNDWOOD, VARTRY WATER WORKS|
|Nature:||New water supply scheme for Dublin, Pembroke and Blackrock, consisting of large storage reservoir with capacity of 84,000,000 gals. at Roundwood, filter beds, tunnel to Callowhill and pipe to Stillorgan. Local engineer: Andrews. Consulting engineeer: Sir John McNeill. Contractors:(1)Green; (2)McCormick, Derry. 1st stone laid, 10 Nov 1862. Completed 1868.|
|Refs:||B 20, 20 Sep 1862, 687; 23, 19 Aug 1865, 584-5; DB 4, 15 Nov 1862, 287-8; 5, 1 Jul 1863, 114-115; 6, 15 Apr 1864, 66; Parke Neville, 'Dublin Waterworks', paper read to Institute of Mechanical Engineers, published in Civil Engioneer and Architect's Journal 28, 1 Sep 1865, 266-267; Parke Neville, 'On the water supply of the City of Dublin', paper read to Inst.CE, 24 Feb 1874, published in Min.Proc.Inst.CE 38 (1873-74, Pt. II), 1-32, Pls. 17,18; inaugural address read to ICEI, 1 Mar 1882, published in TICEI 14 (1881-83), 60-81; 'Annals of Dublin' in Post Office Dublin Directory (1875), 801; R.C. Cox & M.H. Gould, Civil Engineering Heritage: Ireland (1998), 52-53,124-5|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PRUSSIA STREET, CATTLE MARKET|
|Nature:||Opened 24 Nov 1863. Contractor: Meade. Cost: £36,000.|
DB 4, 1,15 Dec 1862, 305,316(illus. in supplement)); 5, 15 Nov 1863, 184; obituary of Neville in Min.Proc.Inst.CE 87 (1886-87, Pt. I), 426-7; Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 269.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ESSEX BRIDGE|
|Nature:||Proposed widening and improvement. Plans modified by Mr Stoney of Port & Docks Board.|
|Refs:||IB 16, 15 Oct 1874, 280|
|Building:||CO, DUBLIN, DUBLIN, LORD EDWARD STREET|
|Nature:||Lord Mayor chairs meeting in Mansion House convened for considering 'tht bes means for carrying out the City Engineer's plan for the improvement of Cork Hill by the construction of a wide thoroughfare between Dame Street and Christchurch Place..
Irish Times, 19 Dec 1879
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CIRCULAR ROAD NORTH, CITY ABATTOIR|
|Nature:||FS laid by Lord Lieutenant, 1 Nov 1880. Contractor: Joseph Kelly, Thomas St,. Estimated cost: £15,000.|
|Refs:||Irish Times, 2 Nov 1880, 3; IB 22, 15 Nov 1880, 314; Architect 26, 17 Sep 1881, 199; obituary of Neville in Min.Proc.Inst.CE 87 (1886-87, Pt. I), 427; E.M. Cosgrave, Visitor's Guide to Dublin, 1|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, TARA STREET|
|Nature:||Proposed new street from Great Brunswick St to Townsend St on site of old Fleet Market, with continuation to river made by widening Shoe La and George's St E.|
|Refs:||IB 22, 1 Jun 1880, 158|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, LORD EDWARD ST|
|Nature:||Opened up by PN to provide connection between Dame St & Christchurch Pl. with an easier gradient and less tortuous route than previous connection via Castle St. Cost: £70,000.|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS 0642, B11/24, obituary of Neville in Min.Proc.Inst.CE 87 (1886-87, Pt. I), 427|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ARRAN STREET EAST (& MARY'S LANE), FISH & VEGETABLE MARKETS|
|Nature:||Plans prepared by PN; carried out (with modifications) after his death.|
IB 26, 15 Oct 1884, 312-3; 31, 15 Jun 1889, 155; Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 100-101.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRAND CANAL, FIFTH LOCK WATERWORKS|
|Nature:||Designed by PN for supply of breweries and distilleries of Dublin.|
|Refs:||obituary of Neville in Min.Proc.Inst.CE 87 (1886-87, Pt. I), 426|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, GLASTHULE, CHURCH|
|Nature:||Designs for same.|
|Refs:||Undated drawings in NLI, old ref. AD 1446-1448|
|Neville, Parke||Report to the Right Honourable the Lord Mayor, Aldermen and Councillors of the Borough of Dublin, on the state of the public works of the city'||1852||Dublin, 1852.|
|Neville, Parke||'Report of City Engineer, Waterworks, Dublin'||1859||DB 1, 1 Sep 1859, 107.|
|Neville, Parke||‘City of Dublin Sewerage’
||1862||Transactions of the National Association for the Promotion of Social Science 1861 (London, 1862), 524-35 (information from Dr Anne Marie D'Arcy, Jan 2011; summary in B 19, 31 Aug 1861, 595.)
|Neville, Parke||'Proposed Improvement Amendment Bill'||1863||DB 5, 1 Jan 1863, 10. (Report to Dublin Corporation, 16 Dec 1862.)|
|Neville, Parke||'Dublin Waterworks'
||1865||Parke Neville, 'Dublin Waterworks', paper read to Institute of Mechanical Engineers, published in Civil Engioneer and Architect's Journal 28, 1 Sep 1865, 266-267.|
|Neville, Parke||Plan for purification of the Liffey||1869||?Report or pamphlet by PN. (Jones transcript from IB 11, 15 Jun 1869, 150, is not clear as to what this is.)|
|Neville, Parke||Report to the Right Hon. the Lord Mayor, Aldermen and Councillors of the City of Dublin, on the general state of the Public Works in the City under thir control||1869||Dublin , 1869. (See account in IB 11, 1 Sep 1869, 199.)|
|Neville, Parke||'On the water supply of the City of Dublin'||1874||Min.Proc.Inst.CE 38 (1873-74, Pt. II), 1-32, Pls. 17,18; abstract in IB 16, 1,15 Mar 1874, 77,84.|
|Neville, Parke||A Description of the Dublin Corporation Water Works||1875||Dublin, 1875.|
|Neville, Parke||[Presidential address to ICEI ]||1883||TICEI 14 (1881-83), 60-81. (On Vartry water scheme; mentioned or summarised in B 42, 28 Mar 1882, 368 &/or 369.)|
|Neville, Parke||Report of Parke Neville, CEâ€¦for the years 1882 and 1883, describingâ€¦paving and waterworks of the Cityâ€¦also worksâ€¦in remodelling the Metropolitan Cattle Market||1884||Dublin, 1884.|
|Neville, Parke||'A description of wood and asphalt as used for the pavement of streets in cities and towns'||1886||TICEI 17 (1885-86), 205-232|