Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Mason who assisted in the construction of the Belfast Poorhouse, opened in 1774.(1) James Brown advertised stone goods, such as headstones, rolling-stones, grindstones, chimney-pieces and flagstones, in the Belfast News Letter on 5 February 1768 and 11 May 1773. In the latter advertisement he described himself as a stone-cutter working on the Poorhouse infirmary.(2)  He is probably the same person as the James Brown, quarryman, whom JOHN SOANE  JOHN SOANE visited at Ballycastle in August 1880 to negotiate a price for the supply of stone for the construction of Downhill House.(3)   See also JAMES BROWN [1]. JAMES BROWN [1].


C.E.B.Brett, Buildings of Belfast (2nd edition, 1967), 4.
From www.ucs.louisiana.edu/bnl/.
Pierre du Prey, '"Je n'oublieray jamais": John Soane and Downhill', BIGS 21 (Jul-Dec 1978),31-33 (reference supplied by Anne Casement)..