MCSWINEY, PAUL *
- Born: - Died: -
Ironfounder, of Cork, listed as such in Pigot and Co.'s City of Dublin and Hibernian Provincial Directory (1824), with an address in King Street. McSwiney established the King Street ironworks in 1816. By the mid 1850s the works were manufacturing iron girder bridges for the Great Southern & Western and Midland Great Western Railways, at Glanmire, Co. Cork, on the Limerick to Foynes line, and on the Mullingar Longford line.(1) In the early 1860s the foundry was taken over by McSwiney's nephews H. & C. Smith. It continued to operate until the early years of the twentieth century.(2)
(1) Colin Rynne, The Industrial Archaeology of Cork City and its Environs (1999), 133.
3 work entries listed in chronological order for MCSWINEY, PAUL *
|Building:||CO. CORK, CORK, VICTORIA ROAD, RAILWAY STATION (CORK, BLACKROCK & PASSAGE RAILWAY)|
|Nature:||Passenger shed roofs for new railway terminus.
|Refs:||B 8, 23 Feb 1850, 94|
|Building:||CO. CORK, KILBARRY, RAILWAY TERMINUS (GREAT SOUTHERN & WESTERN RAILWAY)|
|Nature:||New cast iron roof and supporting pillars erected after fire of March 1850.
Colin Rynne, The Industrial Archaeology of Cork City and its Environs (1999), 209.
|Building:||CO. CORK, CORK, GLANMIRE ROAD LOWER, BRIDGE|
|Nature:||Lattice girder bridge for Great Southern & Western Railway, crossing S face of tunnel, erected by Mssrs. P. McSwiney & Co.|
|Refs:||Unsigned drawings for bridge, dated 1855, in IAA, ICEI Collection, Acc.2005/95.IEI 5366; Cork Examiner, 22 Aug 1855 (information from Roger Herlihy, Cork Dec 2010); B 13, 13 Oct 1855, 486.|