Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Civil engineer, living at 31 Arthur Street, Belfast, in 1852,(1) when he designed the Ballyshannon Flax Factory.(2) According to Brett,(3) MacHenry came from Ballyskeagh, Co. Antrim, 'worked as an engineer with Isambard Kingdom Brunel, and later spent much of his time in Paris attached to the fourth Marquis of Hertford and his son Sir Richard [Wallace]'. He was also surveyor of the Hertford estates in Co. Antrim and was succeeded in this capacity by his son JOHN MACHENRY. JOHN MACHENRY. (4) Paul MacHenry was a subscriber to the Architectural Publication Society's Dictionary of Architecture in 1853.(5)

A contractor named Paul McHenry was active in Lisburn in the 1870s and 1880s.


(1) Belfast & Province of Ulster Directory (1852), 56.
(2) B 10, 29 May 1852, 350.
(3) C.E.B. Brett, Court Houses and Market Houses of the Province of Ulster (UAHS, 1973), 34.
(4) Brett, loc. cit.
(5) His address here is given as Arthur Place.

1 work entries listed in chronological order for MACHENRY, PAUL

Sort by date | Sort alphabetically

Date: 1852
Nature: Designed by PMcH.
Refs: B 10, 29 May 1852, 350