MCGLOUGHLIN, JOHN *
- Born: - Died: -
Art metal worker, of Dublin. According to the brief history of the firm of J. & C. McGloughlin, John McGloughlin was a Sligo man who emigrated to Birmingham at the time of the Famine.(1) He was apparently working in Salford, Lancashire when he decided to move to Dublin.(2) On his return to Ireland he initially worked with THOMAS EARLEY but in 1875 opened up his own business in Cuffe Lane.(3) In 1882 he moved his works and residence to 48 Great Brunswick Street.(4) He had taken his eldest son, John (d.1922), into partnership by 1889, the business becoming known as J. McGloughlin & Son.(5) Two more sons, Edward and Charles also joined the firm.(6) In 1896, after their father's death, John the younger and Charles formed a limited company, J. & C. McGloughlin, Ltd.(7) The business was greatly expanded and a structural engineering branch established. After Charles McGloughlin's death in 1932, John the younger's son John and two of Charles's sons, STEPHEN J. MCGLOUGHLIN and Peter (b. 1906), were made managing directors. Peter McGloughlin was chairman and managing director in 1975.(8)
John McGloughlin's second son was the architect ALFRED IGNATIUS MCGLOUGHLIN.
Addresses: Work: 19 Cuffe Street, 1877.(9) 48 Great Brunswick Street, from 1882.
Home: 5 Parnell Place Lower, Harold's Cross, 1874; 48 Great Brunswick Street, from 1882.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Thom's and the Post Office directories for the years 1874,1875,1883,1896 and 1900, and from the obituary of Charles McGloughlin in IB 74, 18 Jun 1932, 561.
(1) A Short history of J. & C. McGloughlin Ltd. 1875-1966, unpaginated.
(2) Information in letter from J. Joseph McGloughlin, great-grandson of John McGloughlin, to Alfred Jones, 7 Oct 1970 (in Jones file Mc70).
(3) See note 1, above.
(4) Advertisement in IB 24, 1 Mar 1882, 82.
(5) Advertisement in IB 32, 1 Jun 1890, 140; the business is referred to as 'Mssrs. McGloughlin' in IB 28, 1 Apr 1886, 106.
(6) See note 1, above.
(7) See note 1, above.
(8) See note 1, above. For Peter McGloughlin, see Who's Who…in Ireland (1983), 211.
(9) Advertisement in IB 19, 1 Apr 1877, 105.
13 work entries listed in chronological order for MCGLOUGHLIN, JOHN *
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, BALLYBRACK, CHURCH OF SS. ALPHONSUS & COLUMBA (RC)|
|Nature:||Electro silvered tabernacle door executed by McGloughlin & Sons to designs by G.C. Ashlin for Rev. Canon George Harold. (According to a reader, this was made by the 'Misses McGloughlin'.)
|Refs:||IB 31, 15 Mar 1889, 74,75(illus.);|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DAWSON STREET, MANSION HOUSE (INCLUDING ROUND ROOM)|
|Nature:||Iron porch, by 'Mssrs. McGloughlin' to designs of City Architect (Daniel J. Freeman).|
|Refs:||IB 28, 1 Apr 1886, 106|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, CHURCH OF THE ANNUNCIATION (RC)|
|Nature:||Electro-gilt repoussé tabernacle door executed by McGloughlin & Sons.|
|Refs:||IB 31, 15 Mar 1889, 74|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLARENDON STREET, CHURCH OF ST TERESA (RC, DISCALCED CARMELITES)|
|Nature:||altar railing executed by McGloughlin & Sons.|
|Refs:||IB 31, 15 Mar 1889, 74,75(illus.)|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLYDE ROAD, CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW (CI)|
|Nature:||Wrought iron choir screen, to designs of T. Deane.|
|Refs:||E. MacDowell Cosgrave & Leonard R. Strangways, Visitors’ Guide to Dublin and Neighbourhoods (Dublin & London, ), 24|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ARRAN STREET EAST (& MARY'S LANE), FISH & VEGETABLE MARKET|
|Nature:||Decorative iron tympana over entrances by McGloughlin & Son.
Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 101.
|Building:||CO. GALWAY, CLONFERT, CATHEDRAL OF ST BRENDAN (CI)|
|Nature:||Art metal work by J. & C. McGloughlin, Gt Brunswick St, Dublin, as part of restoration by J.F. Fuller..|
|Refs:||IB 39, 1 Sep 1897, 175|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, THOMAS STREET, CHURCH OF SS AUGUSTINE & JOHN (RC)|
|Nature:||Ex voto cabinets in Sacred Heart Chapel and Lady Chapel by J. & C. McGloughlin.
Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 628.
|Building:||CO. LOUTH, DROGHEDA, WEST STREET, CHURCH OF ST PETER (RC, NEW)|
|Nature:||Entrance gate and railing by J. & C. McGloughlin Ltd... Design, 1902. Agreed, 1903.|
|Refs:||Design, 1902, formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, GLENCULLEN, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)|
|Nature:||Ironwork and railings.
Freeman's Journal, 26,28 Jun 1909.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, FRANCIS STREET, CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS OF MYRA (RC)|
|Nature:||Tabernacle on high altar by ||J. & C. McGloughlin.
Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 632
|Building:||CO. LONGFORD, LONGFORD, ST MEL'S ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST MEL (RC)|
|Nature:||Brass communion gates and gas fittings.|
|Refs:||IB 35, 15 Apr 1893, 95; James MacNamee, History of the Diocese of Ardagh (1954), ?|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, KILDARE STREET, NATIONAL MUSEUM|
|Nature:||McGloughlin & Son 'executed all the iron work for the Science and Art Museum in Kildare Street'.
Irish Times, 23 Nov 1895.