Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

John MacDowell of Dundalk signed an undated plan for a threshing mill at Rokeby Hall, Co. Louth, which is now in the National Library of Ireland.(1) He may possibly be connected with the John McDowell who was an estate surveyor in Cos. Louth, Meath and Westmeath in the second quarter of the eighteenth century.(2)

Another John McDowell was admitted to the Royal Dublin Society's School of Drawing in Architecture on 30 November 1837.(3)


(1) NLI AD 1567-1573.
(2) Peter Eden, ed. Dictionary of land surveyors and local cartographers of Great Britain and Ireland 1550-1850 (1979),168. A site plan of the school at Drogheda, which was in the collection of Sheelagh Davis-Goff, Lissan House, Co. Dublin, in 1982, is inscribed 'Survey'd 21st March 1728 by John McDowell' (photograph in IAA).
(3) MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Drawing in Architecture admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).