- Born: 1841 Died: 1917
Borough surveyor of Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, 1882-1908. Michael Beary was born on 1 January 1841 at Beary's Cross, Seskinan, Co. Waterford, on the main Dungarvan-Clonmel road, where his father, who had been an engineer on the road before the Famine, had acquired land and built a public house. His father, who spoke both Irish and English, came from the Oola district in Co. Limerick and married a girl named Davin from the Beary's Cross area. Michael Beary attended Bennett's Cross National School near his home and then the Model School at Clonmel.(1) He presumably took the London City and Guilds examinations as did his brother Timothy Beary, who became an engineer. In 1882 he was appointed borough surveyor for Dungarvan, Co. Waterford,(2) a post which he held until his retirement in 1908, when he was succeeded by THOMAS J. BIGGS. (3) He continued to practise privately after his retirement. In addition to various buildings in Dungarvan, he designed some buildings at Mount Melleray Abbey, which were demolished in 1997. He presented the monks with a stone carving of the Virgin which surmounted these buildings and which has been retained.
Michael Beary died a bachelor in 1917.(4) He had a great interest in the Irish language and formed a collection of Irish texts, which he bequeathed to the Christian Brothers in Dungarvan. He is said to have set papers for some of the early examinations in Irish and to have written Irish text books. He was a brother of JOHN BEARY.
Address: Abbeyside, Dungarvan, 1902.(5)
All information in this article not otherwise accounted for is from a typescript note on Michael Beary written for the IAA by his great niece, Nellie Beary O'Cleirigh, 38 Templemore Avenue, Rathgar, Dublin 6, 10 Dec 1998 and from the 1911 census of Ireland, http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ (last visited Nov 2009).
(1) According to Nellie Beary O'Cleirigh his father rented a house in Clonmel and installed a housekeeper so that his sons could attend the Model School.
(2) According to Thom's Directory for 1883, Matthew(sic) Beary was borough surveyor for Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, at this date.
(3) Building News 104, 10 Jan 1913, 58.
(4) IB 59, 3 Mar 1917, 112. He describes his infirmities in his 1911 census return as 'Slightly deaf arising out of Influenzxa only'.
(5) IB 43, 22 May 1902, 1262.
4 work entries listed in chronological order for BEARY, MICHAEL
|Building:||CO. WATERFORD, BALLYPOREEN, CURATE'S HOUSE & OFFICES|
|Nature:||'Mr Beaty[sic], Abbeyside, Dungarvan'|
|Refs:||IB 43, 15 Aug 1901, 831|
|Building:||CO. WATERFORD, DUNGARVAN, BUTTERY, HOUSES (004)|
|Nature:||'Mr Beary, CE'|
|Refs:||IB 43, 22 May 1902, 1262|
|Building:||CO. WATERFORD, DUNGARVAN, WATER SUPPLY|
|Nature:||Name given as 'J. Beary, CE'. Contractor: Blake, £3,485.|
|Refs:||IB 51, 5 Mar 1910, 157|
|Building:||CO. WATERFORD, MOUNT MELLERAY ABBEY (CAPPOQUIN)|
|Nature:||MB designed buildings there which were demolished 1997.|
|Refs:||Information from from typescript note on Michael Beary written for the IAA by his great niece, Nellie Beary O'Cleirigh, 38 Templemore Avenue, Rathgar, Dublin 6, 10 Dec 1998.|