Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

County surveyor for Mid- and South Cork. Jeremiah Murphy, was born on 23 August 1882, the youngest son of William Murphy, of Ardcoolig, Butlerstown, Timoleague, Co. Cork. He was educated at Butlerstown National School and the Christian Brothers College, Cork. In 1901 he entered Queen's College, Cork, to study engineering. He obtained the BE degree in 1904, having been awarded a gold medal at his final examination. He then became an assistant to FRANCIS BERGIN FRANCIS BERGIN , and was resident engineer for the Naas sewerage scheme and for the New Ross waterworks. In 1909, having reached the minimum age of twenty-six, he sat the examination for county surveyors and gained first place. He was appointed county surveyor for Mid-Cork in June 1909.(1) In 1926 when the county was divided into two districts instead of the previous three, Murphy took charge of the southern division, selecting CORNELIUS MURPHY  CORNELIUS MURPHY as his chief assistant. He died of pneumonia, following a chill, in April 1929.

ICEI: elected associate member, 6 May 1908;(2) raised to member, 1925.(3)

Address: Work:  Court House, Cork.(4)
Home:  17 Main Street, Naas, 1908;  3 Rockview Terrace, Cork, 1911.(5)



All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the obituary of Murphy in the Cork Examiner as reprinted in IB 71, 27 Apr 1929, 384, from the registers of University College, Cork (kindly supplied by Rachel Granville, College Archives), and from ICEI membership applications, IV, 57.

(1) IB 51, 26 Jun 1909, 414.
(2) TICEI 34 (1907-08), ?.
(3) From TICEI lists of members.
(4) See note 3, above.
(5) 1911 census of Ireland, http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ (last visited Oct 2009).

2 work entries listed in chronological order for MURPHY, JEREMIAH THOMAS

Sort by date | Sort alphabetically

Date: 1909
Nature: Tender of Fleming Bros., Portrush (£206.5s) for new water supply. Plans and specifications by 'J. Murphy, BE', for Naas UDC.
Refs: IB 51, 9 Jan 1909, 30

Date: 1911
Nature: Repairs to sea wall and groynes.
Refs: IB 53, 27 May 1911, 369