Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Builder, of Dublin, active in the 1820s and 1830s. Gabriel Murphy, who came from New Ross, Co. Wexford,  is listed in Pigot & Co.'s City of Dublin and Hibernian Provincial Directory (1824) with an address at 20 St Stephen's Green. He is probably the G. Murphy, builder, who is listed in Wilson's Dublin Directory at 18 St Stephen's Green North from 1820-1829; confusingly another G. Murphy appears at 11 Bachelor's Walk from 1826 to 1829, and yet another appears with a Canal Bridge address on a list of Dublin master carpenters and builders compiled in March 1834.(1) Gabriel Murphy is listed at 1 Upper Leeson Street from 1831 to 1836 and at 4 Sussex Terrace in 1837. He died at the age of seventy-five on 5 January 1847 at home in Dun Laoghaire.(2)   He married twice.  By his first marriage he had a son, Charles, who became a surveyor in the Indian Survey Department;  by the second, who like himself came from New Ross, he had five or six further children.


Genealogical information in this entry was supplied by Anne Fitzsimons, Naas, Co. Kildare, great-great-granddaughter of Gabriel Murphy, in a letter of 23 Nov 2009.

(1) Royal Irish Academy, Haliday MS 4B 31; this manuscript is a copy of a report presented to Daniel O'Connell in 1834 to support the argument for repealing the Act of Union by describing the catastrophic impact the Act had had on the tradesmen of Dublin.
(2) Cork Examiner, 8 Jan 1847.