Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Engineer and architect, of Dublin, and Ballyegan, Co. Offaly. Michael Bernard Mullins, the elder son of BERNARD MULLINS  BERNARD MULLINS by his wife, Bridget Maria, daughter of Michael Hoey of Co. Westmeath, was born in Co. Westmeath on 1 August 1808. He entered Trinity College, Dublin, in October 1821, graduating BA in 1826 and MA in 1834.(1) He appears to have spent his entire career in the family business. In 1861 he was appointed a director of the Great Southern & Western Railway Company.(2) He was a JP for Co. Offaly and high sheriff in 1838.

Mullins died unmarried in 1871. In his will he left the bulk of his fortune for the establishment of St Vincent's Convalescent Hospital in Grove Avenue, Blackrock.(3) He bequeathed the contents of his office - drawings, books, models and drawing instruments - to the Institution of Civil Engineers of Ireland in 1871.(4)

ICEI:(5) elected member, 1847;(6) council member, 1852-55,1859; vice-president, 1856-57,1863-65; president, 1860-61.
Geological Society of Ireland: council member, 1848.(7)

Addresses:(8) Work: 9 Mabbot Street for his entire career.
Home: 1 Fitzwilliam Square South, 1834->=1857; 18 Fitzwilliam Square, <=1861 until death.



All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the account of Mullins of Ballyeigan in Burke's Landed Gentry (1875), 959. A portrait of Mullins forms the frontispiece of TICEI 64 (1937-38).

(1) Alumni Dublinenses.
(2) DB 3, 1 Mar 1861, ?.
(3) IB 13, 1 Sep 1871, 230; 16, 1 Aug 1874, 215.
(4) For the fate of this bequest, see under HENRY, MULLINS & McMAHON.
(5) From Jones's transcripts from Thom's directories unless otherwise stated.
(6) IB 12, 15 Aug 1870, 197.
(7) Thom's Directory (1848).
(8) Mullins lived and worked with his father until the latter's death in 1851; his addresses thereafter are from Jones's transcripts from Thom's directories.

1 work entries listed in chronological order for MULLINS, MICHAEL BERNARD

Sort by date | Sort alphabetically

Date: 1844
Nature: Throwing together of large and small dining rooms on ground floor, 1841. Alts. to front (and other alts?), 1844.
Refs: E.McP.; see also IB 62, 10 Apr 1920, 201;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 536.

Author Title Date Details
Mullins, Michael Bernard 'On boring animals in connection with structures exposed to the Sea' 1847 TICEI 2 (1846-47), 76.
Mullins, Michael Bernard 'The temples of Paestum' 1847 TICEI 2 (1846-47), 71.
Mullins, Michael Bernard 'An account of a three-sided Coffer' 1848 TICEI 3 (1847-48), 90-92.
Mullins, Michael Bernard 'Address of M.B. Mullins, Esq. A.M., president; being an historical sketch of engineering in Ireland' 1861 TICEI 6 (1859-61), 1-186. ((Paper read to ICEI 8 Nov 1859,13 Mar,29 May 1860.)
Mullins, Michael Bernard 'Memoir of Barry Gibbons' 1862 TICEI 7 (Pt. 2; 1862-63), 168-172.