Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect and surveyor, of Dublin. Frederick Morley appears to have come from England in or by 1872 to work in the office of THOMAS NEWENHAM DEANE THOMAS NEWENHAM DEANE . Two English architects, John Whichcord, of London, and R.P. Browne, of Greenwich, as well as Deane, proposed Morley for associateship of the RIBA in November 1872,(1) which suggests that he may previously have a pupil or assistant to one or both of them. In the same year he exhibited six drawings of a design for a town hall at the Dublin Exhibition of Arts, Industries, Manufactures & Loans Museum.(2) From the evidence of the directories, he had started to practice on his own account from his home in Merrion by 1875 and by 1879 had opened an office in Nassau Street. He exhibited views of Lincoln, Rouen and Rochester cathedrals at the RHA in 1875 and 1876.(3) He is described as engineer to Clontarf township in Thom's directories from 1890 onwards. By this time he had holdings of land in the area of Herbert Avenue, Merrion, and gave his name to Morley Villas on the north-west side of the road.(4)  He died in August 1896 and was buried in Dean's Grange cemetery.(5) Shortly before his death, having already taken his son FREDERICK LOUIS MORLEY  FREDERICK LOUIS MORLEY into his practice, he formed a partnership with GEORGE PATRICK SHERIDAN. GEORGE PATRICK SHERIDAN. (6) The practice continued under the name of MORLEY & MORLEY & amp; SHERIDAN  SHERIDAN for a few years after his death.

AAI: reads paper on 'Architectural Practice', 25 May 1876;(7) committee member, 1876-77;(8) scheduled to read paper on 'Bulding materials and their uses', 5 April 1877.(9)
RIBA: elected associate, 4 Nov 1872, proposed by Thomas Newenham Deane, J. Whichcord and R.P. Browne.(10)
RSAI: elected member, 1892.(11)

Addresses: Work: 3 Upper Merrion Street, 1872;(12) 6 Strand Road, Merrion, 1876; 16 Nassau Street, 1879-1880; Commercial Buildings, Dame Street, 1881-92; 190 Great Brunswick Street, 1893-95; Commercial Buildings, 1896.
Home: 6 Strand Road (Stafford House), Merrion, 1875-1891; Lowell House, Herbert Avenue, Merrion, 1895 until death.(13)

See WORKS and BIBLIOGRAPHY. BIBLIOGRAPHY.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Thom's and Post Office directories or Jones's transcripts therefrom.

(1) Directory of British Architects 1834-1900 (RIBA, 1993), 634.
(2) Nos. 932-938 (IALE II, 483).
(3) No. 226 in 1874, Nos. 275 and 363 in 1876; in the latter year he also exhibited his design for the Temperance Hall in Townsend Street (no. 286).
(4) See Ruth McManus, Crampton Built (Dublin: G. & T. Crampton, 2008), 6-8.
(5) McManus, op. cit., 8.
(6) According to the obituary of Sheridan in RIAI Year Book (1950), 43, Sheridan 'took over the practice of Frederick Morley' in the autumn of 1895, too late for inclusion however in Thom's Directory for 1896 which lists Frederick Morley & Son, architects, surveyors, & civil engineers but does not include Sheridan.
(7) IB 18, 1 Dec 1876, 339.
(8) IB 18, 1 Dec 1876, 339.
(9) See note 5, above.
(10) See note 1, above.
(11) JRSAI 24 (1894), list of members.
(12) See note 1, above.
(13) For a photograph of the house, see McManus, op. cit., 7.


21 work entries listed in chronological order for MORLEY, FREDERICK


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, TOWNSEND STREET, NO. 006 (TEMPERANCE COFFEE PALACE)
Date: 1874-1875
Nature: New building for Total Abstinence Society containing lecture hall, reading room, club room, refreshment bars, smoking room, lavatories, manager's room, &c. First of series of meetings o celebrate opening of same held 15 Sep 1875. Contractor: George Tyrrell. Cost: £20,000
Refs: IB 16, 1 Oct 1874, 276; 17, 1 Jun 1875, 154; design exh. RHA 1876, no. 286;  Irish Times, 156 Dec 1875.

Building: CO. ROSCOMMON, KILRONAN CASTLE
Date: 1876
Nature: Works at same, for Col. Tenison.
Refs: IB 18, 15 Feb 1876, 55

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MABBOT STREET, NO. 070 (NEPTUNE MUSIC HALL)
Date: 1876
Nature: Remodelling of gin palace to form Neptune music hall. Contractor: George Tyrrell, Russell Pl.
Refs: IB 18, 15 Aug 1876, 247

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GEORGE'S STREET SOUTH GREAT, DUBLIN COFFEE PALACE
Date: 1878
Nature: New branch of Townsend St Dublin Coffee Palace. Large plate glass windows to street and large temperance hall behind.  Architect 'Mr Morie[Morley?],CE, Nassau Street'. Builder: George Tyrrell.
Refs: Irish Times, 14 Jun 1878.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, FITZGIBBON STREET, NO. 025 (GEORGE TYRRELL)
Date: 1879
Nature: Range of workshops & offices for G.F. Tyrrell.
Refs: IB 21, 1 Nov 1879, 339

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PARNELL STREET, NO. 074 (J.G. MOONEY)
Date: 1879
Nature: New premises. Contractor: T. Connolly, Dominick St. Cost: £2,000.
Refs: IB 21, 15 Feb 1879, 59

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HENRY STREET, NO. 045 (WILLIAM MOLONEY)
Date: 1879
Nature: Extension to to dress, mantle and costume business premises.  Contractor: Monks.
Refs: Irish Times, 14 Aug,27 Sep 1879.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DAME STREET, NO. 081
Date: 1881
Nature: Alts., for John Behan. Tenders of H. Hanlon for £292 accepted.
Refs: IB 23, 1 Apr 1881, 111

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, JONES'S ROAD, METHODIST CHURCH
Date: 1881-82
Nature: Gothic, red brick with limestone dressings. Also school house in same materials. FS laid 12 Oct 1881.  Opened 2 Apr 1882.  Contractor: R.F. Lidwill. Estimated cost about £2,600 (but actual cost about £1,600?)..
Refs: Irish Times, 13 Oct 1881,1 Apr 1882; IB 23, 15 Oct 1881, 307

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, NORTH WALL QUAY, DUBLIN COFFEE PALACE
Date: 1881-92
Nature: New branch of Dublin Coffee Palace Society 'within one door of Guiod Street' opened 23 Jan 1882. Red brick exterior. Inside is spacious saloon 'comfortably fitted up with a circular counter, around which fifty individuals could at one time partake of refreshments, while a buffet is arranged within the bar, on which are placed various temperance drinks, milk, sodas, cocoas, and many other beverages, as well as cigars, tobaccos, &c., all very artistically arranged'.  Contractors: Moyers & co., South Richmond St.
Refs: Irish Times, 23 Jan 1882.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BLACKPITTS
Date: 1881a
Nature: Plot of 3 acres, 28½ perches laid out for building purpose by 'Mr Morley, architect' for Thomas Byrne, TC, advertised as for sale, Aug-Sep 1881.
Refs: Irish Times, 30 Aug, 6,9 Sep 1881.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ARRAN QUAY, NO. 031 (PHILIP BEGLEY)
Date: 1882
Nature: Tenders invited for taking down and rebuilding premises for Philp Begley, feather, skin, hide and rag merchant, Dec 1882.
Refs: Irish Times, 8 Dec 1882.

Building: CO. LAOIS, PORTLAOISE, METHODIST CHURCH
Date: 1883
Nature: Early Gothic. FS laid, May 1883. Opened Dec 1883. Contractor: R.F. Lidwill, Dublin.
Refs: IB 25, 15 May,15 Dec 1883, 162,398

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, STRAND ROAD (MERRION), PIER & BATHS
Date: 1883;1889
Nature: Opposite Sydney Ave. Wooden pier leading to baths with concrete walls, sufficiently deep to admit sea water from 'Cockle Lake'. Contractor: Connolly & Son, Upper Dominick St. Pumping system installed to ensure daily supply of fresh sea water, 1889. Contractor: McGarvey & Co., Lombard St. (Pier demolished, 1920.)
Refs: Irish Times, 25 Jul 1883; IB 25, 1 Aug 1883, 238; 31, 1 Sep 1889, 217; B 45, 18 Aug 1883, 237;  Ruth McManus, Crampton Built (Dublin: G. & T. Crampton, 2008),8.

Building: CO. LAOIS, PORTLAOISE, TOWN HALL
Date: 1885
Nature: Entrant in competition for adds and alts.
Refs: IB 27, 1 Jan 1885, 6

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BAGGOT STREET, HOUSE & SHOWROOMS
Date: 1885
Nature: For Mr Dennehy. Tender of Connolly accepted.
Refs: IB 27, 1 Nov 1885, 300

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WICKLOW STREET, HOUSE
Date: 1885
Nature: FAM architect of building for Mr O'Brien, proorietor of the Wicklow Hotel, which collapsed, killing a man.  Contractor: Monks.
Refs: Irish Times, 13 Nov 1885.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GEORGE'S STREET SOUTH GREAT, NO. 060
Date: 1886
Nature: Recent improvements to establish South City Store & Provision Shop for Peter Murphy. Contractor: George Whiteacre & Sons, Summer Hill.
Refs: IB 28, 1 Jun 1886, 169

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLONTARF ROAD, BATHS & ASSEMBLY ROOMS
Date: 1886
Nature: Reconstruction.
Refs: Ruth McManus, Crampton Built (Dublin: G. & T. Crampton, 2008),8.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CAMBRIDGE ROAD (RINGSEND), PEMBROKE TECHNICAL & RINGSEND FISHERY SCHOOLS
Date: 1892
Nature: FM competition entrant.
Refs: IB 35, 1,15 Jun 1893, 127,134(illlus.),144

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION, HERBERT AVENUE, MORLEY VILLAS
Date: ?
Nature: These were next to FM's own house, Lowell House. Their name suggests that he may have designed them.
Refs: See under Herbert Ave, Merrion, in Post Office Directory 1896, 1900 and Thom's Directory 1907;  see also Ruth McManus, Crampton Built (Dublin: G. & T. Crampton, 2008),6-7.

Author Title Date Details
Morley, Frederick 'Architectural Practice' 1876 IB 18, 1 Jun 1876, 154, and Architect 15, 10 Jun 1876, 380-381. (Paper read to AAI, 25 May 1876.)