MORGAN, JOHN *
- Born: - Died: 1797
Stonecutter, of Dublin. John Morgan, a younger son of RICHARD MORGAN , carried on his father's business in Chequer Lane after the latter's death in 1765.(1) Around the time of his father's death he was employed as a stonecutter on No. 12 Merrion Square.(2) He was Master of the Corporation of Carpenters in 1767(3) and Warden in 1769.(4) He married Rebecca, daughter of Ralph Babington of Derry in 1764,(5) and died in his house in Exchequer Street in January 1797.(6)
Morgan worked with SIMON VIERPYL on stonecutting work for the Royal Exchange in 1771(7) and the Blue Coat Hospital in 1775.(8) Later he may have been in partnership with a stonecutter named Joy; in January and September 1791 Dublin Corporation authorized payments to Morgan & Joy for stonecutter's work on the Mayoralty House and elsewhere.(9)
Addresses:(10) Chequer Lane, 1765)-1774; 12 Exchequer Street, 1776; 58 Exchequer Street, 1784.
(1) Faulkner's Dublin Journal, 30 Apr-4 May 1765; a John Morgan was admitted a freeman of Dublin by virtue of birth at Midsummer in the same year (information from Michael Morgan, Vancouver, Canada).
(2) L. Calderon & C. Casey, 'Number 12 Merrion Square', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 5 (2002), 12.
(3) John J. Webb, The Guilds of Dublin(1929), 253.
(4) Faulkner's Dublin Journal, 17-19 Aug 1769.
(5) W.G. Strickland, A Dictionary of Irish Artists (1913), II, 129.
(6) Strickland, loc. cit.
(7) Faulkner's Dublin Journal, 27-29 Apr,10-13 Aug 1771; Strickland gives the date wrongly as 1766.
(8) Faulkner's Dublin Journal, 22-29 Aug 1775.
(9) CARD XIV, 187,224.
(10) From Wilson's Dublin Directory unless otherwise indicated.
3 work entries listed in chronological order for MORGAN, JOHN *
Sort by date | Sort alphabetically
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION SQUARE, NO. 012|
|Nature:||Stonecutter employed on new house for William Brownlow, MP.|
|Refs:||L. Calderon & C. Casey, 'Number 12 Merrion Square', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 5 (2002), 12|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CORK HILL, ROYAL EXCHANGE|
|Nature:||Simon Vierpyl and John Morgan responsible for stone carving.|
|Refs:||Faulkner's Dublin Journal, 10-13 Aug 1771|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BLACKHALL PLACE, BLUE COAT SCHOOL|
|Nature:||Simon Vierpyl responsible for ornamental stone carving with John Morgan.|
|Refs:||Faulkner's Dublin Journal, 22-29 Aug 1775; W.G. Strickland, A Dictionary of Irish Artists (1913), II, 489; S. O'Reilly, New Lease of Life: the Law Society's Building at Blackhall Place (1990), 27-31|