Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Civil engineer, of Dublin. Arthur Edwin Mills, a son of WILLIAM HEMINGWAY MILLS  WILLIAM HEMINGWAY MILLS and elder brother of GEORGE HEMINGWAY MILLS GEORGE HEMINGWAY MILLS , was born in London on 3 October 1867 and educated in London and Dublin. He served a three-year pupilage, from October 1882 until October 1885, with his father, who was engineer-in-chief of the Great Northern Railway, and from 1885 to 1888 was a member of the railway's engineering staff. From November 1888 until 1890 or later he worked under his father and JOHN CHALONER SMITH [1]  JOHN CHALONER SMITH [1] on the engineering staff of the city of Dublin Junction Railways. In 1892 he established the Eblana Cement and Plaster Manufacturing Company and by 1900 had also become manager of the Irish Opalite Company. In the early1900s he became a partner of THOMAS TOMLINSON THOMAS TOMLINSON , practising as Tomlinson & Mills from 39 Fleet Street.  He had left Ireland for England by September 1909 and remained in England at various addresses until at least 1931 and very probably for the rest of his life.

During his years in Ireland, Mills was a JP for Co. Dublin and chairman of Kingstown Urban District Council. He was widely travelled and enjoyed yachting, golf and rifle shooting. He was married in 1892 to Emily Frances, youngest daughter of Harvey Chamberlain of Worcester.

Inst.CE: elected associate member, 1 April 1890; resigned 31 December 1931.
RDS:  member.
GLFI :member.

Addresses: Work: 15 Talbot Place, 1900; 39 Fleet Street, 1907. Home: Nurney, Glenageary, Co. Dublin, 1890; St Leonard's, Merrion, Co. Dublin, 1893; Marietta, Breffni Road, Kingstown, <=1895->=1908; c/o 44 Church Crescent, Church End, Finchley, 1909; 44 Church Crescent, Church End, Finchley, 1915; 153 Midland Road, Bedford, 1917; 44 Church Crescent, Church End, Finchley, 1919; Warwick Court, Walmer, Deal, 1922; c/o H.J. Chamberlain, 14 Finchley Way, Church End, Finchley, 1924; 6 Bouverie Court, Bouverie Place, Folkestone, 1925; Waratah, Julian Road, Folkestone, 1925.


All information in this entry is from the the records of the Institution of Civil Engineers, kindly provided by Mrs Carol Morgan, Archivist, and from the biographies in Modern Ireland. Men of the Period (London [1900]), 95, and in E. Macdowel Cosgrave, ed., Dublin and County Dublin in the Twentieth Century (1908), 259, both illustrated with ortrait photographs.