Architect, of Dublin. John Mansfield Mitchell, the younger son of WILLIAM MANSFIELD MITCHELLWILLIAM MANSFIELD MITCHELL , was born circa 1881. He was educated at Corrig School and apprenticed to his father. On completing his apprenticeship he spent two years as his father's assistant and a further six months with THOMAS DREW THOMAS DREW before returning to his father's office.(1) In the spring of 1905 he was taken into partnership, together with his elder brother CHARLES HOFFE MITCHELLCHARLES HOFFE MITCHELL . During the First World War he joined the Trinity College Officers' Training Corps. After passing out with very high marks, he was retained on the lecturing staff. When the war ended, he resumed practice as an architect in partnership with his brother. He was engineer to Killiney and Ballybrack Urban District Council from 1910(2) until it was absorbed by Dun Laoghaire Borough Council in the early 1930s.
Mitchell was a keen sportsman. He played hockey for Leinster and badminton for Ireland, and was a member of the Wag Club, the Royal Irish Yacht Club and the Killiney Golf Club, of which he was president at the time of his death. A regular golfer throughout his life, he won of the Architects' Golfing Society Competition in 1910 and 1911, winning the O'Brien Smyth Golf Challenge Cup for two years in succession.(3) He died in his seventy-sixth year on 1 May 1957, nine months after his brother.
AAI: elected member, 1899.(4) RIAI: elected member, 29 May 1906, having been proposed by Thomas Drew and William Mansfield Mitchell, seconded by GEORGE COPPINGER ASHLIN GEORGE COPPINGER ASHLIN and CHARLES HERBERT ASHWORTHCHARLES HERBERT ASHWORTH ;(5) elected fellow, 6 April 1925, having been proposed by LUCIUS O'CALLAGHAN.LUCIUS O'CALLAGHAN.(6)
Addresses:(7) Work: 10 St Stephen's Green, 1905-1907; 2 St Stephen's Green, 1908-1914; 18 South Frederick Street, 1915-1919; 16 South Frederick Street, 1921-28; 6 Merrion Square, 1930-1954; 2 Fitzwilliam Place, 1955-57. Home: Abbeylands, Killiney, 1908-1910; The Whins, Killiney, 1915; Victoria Lodge, Ballybrack, 1922-1934; Greenbanks, Dalkey Avenue, Dalkey, 1937-1955.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the obituary of Mitchell in RIAI Year Book (1958), 32, and Thom's directories. He is presumably the 'Mr J.H. Mitchell' who appears in a group photograph of members of the AAI circa 1900 reproduced in IB 69, 15 Oct 1927, 759.
(1) His name first appears under the office address in Thom's Directory for 1903. (2)IB 52, 9 Jul 1910, 450. (3)IB 54, 2,16 Mar 1912, 132,166; see also AAI Green Book (1914), 49. (4) Lists of officers and members in AAI Green Books. (5)RIAI general meeting minutes, 29 May 1906, 414; ; MS addenda to copy of list of members in archives of RIAI (photocopy in IAA); IAA, RIAI office archives (Acc. 93/136), membership forms 1878-1909 (extremely fragile). . (6) Jones, citing ?RIAI minutes, and JRIAI (1926), 5. (7) From Thom's and Post Office directories.
5 work entries listed in chronological order for MITCHELL, JOHN MANSFIELD