MILES, THOMAS WILLIAM
- Born: 1840 Died: 1895
Engineer. Thomas William Miles, eldest son of William Miles of Callinafercy, Co. Kerry, was born on 26 September 1840. He served a three-year apprenticeship with WILLIAM BARRINGTON of Limerick from 1820 to 1823 and was then an assistant in Barrington's office for about a year. He worked under FRANCIS BLENNERHASSETT WALKER on the Castle Connel to Killaloe extension of the Waterford & Limerick Railway and on the Rathkeale & Newcastle Junction line, on which he succeeded Walker as resident engineer. Under Barrington he was in charge of the Clodiagh River drainage district, Co. Waterford, the Mulkear River drainage district , Co. Tipperary, and the surveys for the Birdhill and Nenagh and the Limerick and Kerry railway lines. In 1868 he was appointed an assistant engineer in the Public Works Department of the Government of India. He remained in India for the rest of his career, until ill-health forced him to leave in December 1894. He died in London, at the house of his father-in-law, General J.C. Brooke, on 11 June 1895.
Inst.CE: elected member, 3 February 1880.
All information in this entry is from the obituary of Miles in Min.Proc.Inst.CE 122 (1894-95), 378-9.