MILLER, GEORGE WILLIAM
- Born: - Died: -
Architect, of Dublin. George William Miller, who was born in Kilmainham, Dublin, circa 1859, may have been a son of George E. Miller, of St John's, Islandbridge, engineer and locomotive superintendent with the Great Southern & Western Railway,(1) or possibly of William Miller of Corrig Avenue, Dun Laoghaire.(2) The earliest mention of him in the Irish Builder is in 1876, when he was awarded a prize by the AAI.(3) In 1878 he was also awarded the President's Prize of the RIAI.(4) He was probably working in the office of JOHN LOFTUS ROBINSON at this time, as an elevation by him of Robinson's design for the high altar in the church of SS Michael and John, Dublin, was published in the Irish Builder in February 1879.(5) He had published a design for schools in the same journal the previous month.(6)
After this promising start, Millar went to seek his fortune in England, where he is recorded in the 1881 census as a twenty-two year old architect living as a lodger in Sydney Street, London. Later he gave up architecture for painting and moved to Chislehurst, Kent. In 1891 and 1896 he exhibited paintings at the Royal Academy.(7) He was still living in Chislehurst at the time of the 1901 census, when he gives his occupation as 'artist'.
Addresses: 36 Corrig Avenue, Dun Laoghaire, 1878;(8) 36 Sydney Street, London, 1881; White House, Chislehurst, Kent, <=1891->=1896.
(1) IB 21, 1 Feb 1879, ?.
(2) IB 21, 1 Feb 1879, ?.
(3) RIAI council meeting minutes, 13 May 1878, 213-4; The Post Office Dublin Directory for 1875 has a William Miller living at 36 Corrig Avenue.
(1) In the 1901 English census he gives his birthplace as Kilmainham, Dublin.
(2) He was living in Corrig Avenue when he was awarded the RIAI President's Prize in 1878.
(3) IB 18, 15 Dec 1876, 367.
(3) RIAI council meeting minutes, 13 May 1878, 213-4.
(5) IB 21, 1 Feb 1879, ?.
(6) IB 21, 1 Feb 1879, ?.
(7) Graves, III, 252.
(8) Freeman's Journal, 15 Apr 1878.
|Miller, George William||'Canon Marrable and Christ Church'
||Letter to Freeman's Journal, 15 Apr 1878.