Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Carver, of Dublin. John Mathews was paid for carver's work in the council chamber at Dublin Castle in 1762.(1) He may be the John Matthews, carver, of 60 Dorset Street, Dublin, who is listed in Wilson's Dublin Directory for 1776.

A John Matthews was admitted to the Dublin Society's School of Drawing in Architecture on 28 July 1771, awarded a premium on 21 May 1772 and (again?) on 25 June 1772.(2) Another John Mathews was admitted a Freeman of the City of Dublin as a member of the Guild of Joiners by virtue of birth at Christmas 1782, and another was admitted as a member of the Guild of Coachmakers by virtue of service at Michaelmas 1786.(3)


(1) MS. letter and account books of Thomas Eyre in IAA (Acc. 86/149), II, 90.
(2) MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Architectural Drawing admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).
(3) 'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', The Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2, unpaginated.