Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Engineer. Thomas Martin, second son of Aylmer R. Martin, solicitor of Cork and Dublin, was born on 13 June 1831 at Mayfield, Co. Cork. After attending Bandon school, he entered Trinity College, Dublin, on 14 September 1848. At Trinity he distinguished himself in science and mathematics; he became second Senior Moderator and a Gold Medallist in science in 1852 and obtained Bishop Law's mathematical prize in 1853. He then attended the engineering school at Trinity obtaining his diploma, and a special certificate of merit, in 1858.(1) After leaving Trinity he served a one-year pupilage to WILLIAM RICHARD LE FANU WILLIAM RICHARD LE FANU , spending part of the time as assistant resident engineer on the Mallow & Fermoy Railway, which was then being built. In 1859 he went to India to work on the Bombay, Baroda and Central India Railway. He remained in India for the rest of his life, apart from a period in 1865-1867, when he returned home on account of poor health. He died of Delhi fever at Mean Mir in the Punjab on 19 December 1883. A tablet in his memory was erected in St Finbarr's Cathedral, Cork.

Inst.CE: elected member, 4 December 1866.


All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the obituary of Martin in Min.Proc.Inst.CE 78 (1883-84), 435-6, which see for further details of Martin's career in India.

(1) R.C. Cox, compiler, Trinity College School of Engineering: 'Graduates' in Engineering 1843-1992 (1993), unpaginated.