Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of 119 George's Street, Cork, who was elected a member of the Kilkenny Archaeological Society on 7 March 1855, having been proposed by EDWARD FITZGERALD. EDWARD FITZGERALD. (1) He appears to have been the father of EDWARD JAMES MARTIN  EDWARD JAMES MARTIN and is probably also the same person as the Edward Martin, architect of Cork and Dublin, who was the father of WILLIAM EDWARD MARTIN. T WILLIAM EDWARD MARTIN. T his Edward Martin was involved in 'the repair and maintenance of 137 churches and superintending the erection of new churches in the dioceses of Elphin, Ardagh, Tuam, Killala, Achonry, Clonfert, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora'.(2) An Edward George Martin, builder, of King's Square, Cork, died on 18 October 1875 at the age of seventy-two.(3)

Addresses: 119 George's Street, Cork, 1855-1858; 6 Wellington Terrace, Sundays Well Road, 1871; King's Square?, 1875.


(1) JRSAI 3 (1854-5), 275; the RSAI membership list, as corrected in June 1858, still shows 'Edward George Martin, architect' at the same address.
(2) Information from Mrs A. M. Fenton (great-granddaughter of William Edward Martin), White Roses, Canon Pyon Road, Hereford, in letter of 22 Feb 1999.  For work of this nature at Ballymacward and Loughrea, see RCB Library - Architectural Drawings, https://archdrawing.ireland.anglican.org/items/show/995,1073 (last visited, Mar 2017).
(3) Letter from Mrs Fenton, see note 2, above, 21 May 2002. www.familysearch.org records an Edward George Martin who married Mary Leahy in Cork in 1831.