MANDERS, JOHN *
- Born: - Died: -
Carpenter and builder of Dublin, active in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. He is presumably the 'John Maunders' who entered the Dublin Society's School of Drawing in Architecture on 2 April 1789.(1) He was admitted a Freeman of the City of Dublin at Midsummer 1795 as a member of the Guild of Carpenters by virtue of service.(2) He appears as a carpenter and builder at various addresses in Wilson's Dublin Directory from 1799 to 1818 and from 1825 until 1836 and in Pigot's Directory for 1824.(3) Writing in 1834, his fellow tradesmen stated that he had had a very extensive business employing twenty-five men circa1800 but later became insolvent . He had subsequently recommenced trade and was 'still in business struggling'.(4) His insolvency may acount for the gap in the directories between 1818 and 1825.
Addresses: 115 James's Street, 1798; 4 Parade, Blackhall Street, 1799-1800; Luke Street, 1801-1805; 32 Fleet Street, 1806-1809; Leeson Street, 1810-14; Hatch Street, 1815-18; 12 Great Brunswick Street, 1825-1834; 34 Great Brunswick Street, 1835-36.
(1) MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Architectural Drawing admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).
(2) 'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', The Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2, unpaginated.
(3) The John Manders, builder, of 25 Percy Place, who is listed in Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac for 1847 is probably another person.
(4) Royal Irish Academy, Haliday MS 4B 31; the same source gives his address as 'Roebuck now Brunswick St'.