- Born: 1873 Died: 1959
Engineer to the Dublin Port and Docks Board. Joseph Mallagh, a native of Co. Armagh, was born on 20 August 1873. He attended Monaghan Collegiate School and then entered Queen's College, Galway, receiving the BA and BE degrees from the Royal University of Ireland in 1896. After graduation he had further training and experience in the offices of ALFRED DICKINSON PRICE , RICHARD HASSARD , PETER CHALMERS COWAN and JOHN HARRIS HAZLETT SWINEY ; works on which he was engaged during this period included the improvement of the Downpatrick Waterworks, the Portadown and Banbridge water supply scheme and the Boyle waterworks. From 1900 to 1903 he was a surveying officer with the General Valuation and Boundary Survey of Ireland. He was appointed engineer for Sligo harbour in 1905,(1), a post which he held until 1917, when he was appointed engineer to the Dublin Port and Docks Board on a year's probation at a salary of £650;(2) the appointment was confirmed in April 1918.(3)
Mallagh's achievements as engineer of the Dublin Port and Docks Board included the reconstruction of Alexandra Quay (1921-31) and the rebuilding of Butt Bridge (1929-32).(4) After his retirement in 1941(5) he established a private engineering consultancy in which he was joined by his son, TERENCE JOHN SLOAN MALLAGH. D uring this period he acted as a consultant to several Irish port authorities. He died at home in Donnybrook on 1 November 1959. Terence Mallagh carried on the practice after his father's death.
Inst.CE: elected associate member, 1899; raised to member, 1931.
ICEI: elected member, 3 November1909;(6) reads various papers, 1922,1925,1927,1932,1939;(7) awarded Mullins Silver medal for paper, 'Description of the new deepwater quay at the Port of Dublin', read 7 Feb 1927;(8) council member, 1920-27; vice-president, 1927-30,1931-1959; president 1930-31; delivers lecture on 'The maritime and inland navigation facilities of Belgium and Holland', 6 January 1936.(9)
Addresses: Work: Dublin Port and Docks Board, East Wall, 1917-1941; 39/42 Kildare Street, 1948-1951; 1 St James's Terrace, Clonskeagh, 1956->=1958.
Home: Cranna, 3 Cowper Villas, Cowper Rd, Rathmines, <=1919-1927; 40 Serpentine Avenue, Pembroke, <=1933->=1934; Richview, Palmerston Park, Rathmines, <=1937->=1940; 39 Nutley Park, Donnybrook, <=1942 until death
See WORKS (including works of Joseph Mallagh & Son until 1959) and BIBLIOGRAPHY.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the obituaries of Mallagh in IB 101, 14 Nov 1959, 836, and TICEI 86 (1959-1960), 177-178, from ICEI lists of members and officers and from Thom's directories. A portrait photograph of Mallagh appears as the frontispiece to TICEI 57 (1930-31).
(1) IB 47, 7 Oct 1905, 714.
(2) Building News 112, 7 Feb 1917, 133.
(3) IB 60, 27 Apr 1918, 228.
(4) See H.A. Gilligan, A History of the Port of Dublin (1988), 99,152.
(5) Gilligan, op. cit., above, p.172.
(6) TICEI 36 (1909-1910), ?.
(7) See Bibliography.
(8) TICEI 53 (1926-27), 235.
(9) TICEI 62 (1935-36), 119.
9 work entries listed in chronological order for MALLAGH, JOSEPH
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ALEXANDRA QUAY|
|Nature:||Masonry quay designed by JM 'on a principle which was later recognised internationally as a major development in the field of port engineering'. First caisson launched 16 Mar 1922. Quay completed 1931.|
|Refs:||H.A. Gilligan, A History of the Port of Dublin (1988), 152|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CUSTOM HOUSE DOCKS, TOBACCO WAREHOUSE|
|Nature:||Proposed new tobacco warehouse for Dublin Port & Docks Board.
|Refs:||Typescript specification, Jul 1928, in IAA, Acc.2008/47.|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CUSTOM HOUSE DOCKS|
|Nature:||New tobacco stores. Builder: W. & A. Roberts.|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS 0045, 0046, 0988; IB 70, 13 Oct 1928, 882; bill of quantities and specifications, Dec 1934, PKS 0045; specification, Jan 1935, PKS 0046; bill of quantities, Feb 1935, PKS 0988|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BUTT BRIDGE (NEW)|
|Nature:||Reinforced concrete with a balustrade of chiselled granite. Opened 1932. Designed by JJM with P.F. Purcell. Advisory architects: O'Callaghan & Giron.|
|Refs:||IB 74, 26 Mar,23 Apr 1932, 289(illus.),369; F.W. Bond, 'The reconstruction of Butt Bridge, Dublin', TICEI 59 (1932-33), 35-98; H.A. Gilligan, A History of the Port of Dublin (1988), 99; R.C. Cox & M.H. Gould, Civil Engineering Heritage: Ireland (1998), 39; Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 693.|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ALEXANDRA ROAD, DUBLIN PORT MILLING CO.|
|Nature:||Staff accommodation by J. Mallagh & Son.|
|Refs:||IB 92, 9 Dec 1950, 1342|
|Building:||CO. CORK, CORK, PARK ROAD, IRISH SHELL CO.|
|Nature:||New boiler house by J. Mallagh & Son.|
|Refs:||IB 93, 1 Dec 1956, 1093|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HARCOURT STREET, NO. 058A (COURT LAUNDRY)|
|Nature:||Alts. by J. Mallagh & Son.|
|Refs:||IB 98, 6 Oct,3 Nov 1956, 925,1007|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SANDWITH STREET, NO. 004|
|Nature:||Reconstruction by J. Mallagh & Son.|
|Refs:||IB 98, 25 Feb 1956, 157|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHIBSBOROUGH ROAD, DUBLIN NORTH CITY MILLING CO.|
|Nature:||Weighbridge, alts., reroofing of mill & store extension by J. Mallagh & Son.|
|Refs:||IB 98, 15 Dec 1956., 1131; 57, 15 Jun,24 Aug 1957, 473,667; 101, 17 Oct 1959, 763|
|Mallagh, Joseph||'Description of the new Bucket Dredger 'Deepwater' at the Port of Dublin'||1922||TICEI 48 (1921-22), 279-304.|
|Mallagh, Joseph||'Description of the new deep water quay at the Port of Dublin'||1927||TICEI 53 (1926-27), 105-157.|
|Mallagh, Joseph||[President's address to ICEI.]||1931||TICEI 57 (1930-31), 1-21. (Delivered 3 Nov 1930.)|
|Mallagh, Joseph||'An account of the renewal of the entrance gates at the graving dock, North Wall, Dublin'||1932||TICEI 58 (1931-32), 43-54.|
|Mallagh, Joseph||'City bridges over the Liffey, present and future'||1939||TICEI 65 (1938-39), 225-236.|
|Mallet, Joseph, & Dowling, John J.||'Automatic fog signalling in the Port of Dublin'||1926||TICEI 52 (1925-26), 1-19.|