Plumber, engineer and ironfounder, of Dublin. John Mallet, elder son of RICHARD MALLET , was baptised in North Tawton, Devon, on 23 January 1781. He came to Dublin at the invitatation of his uncle ROBERT MALLET  , whose daughter Thomasina he subsequently married. He had settled in Dublin by Michaelmas 1801, when he was admitted a freeman of the city as a member of the Guild of Plumbers by Grace Especial. He encouraged his parents to join him in Dublin, along with their younger son WILLIAM MALLET and their daughter Jane. While his father set up his own ironmongery establishment in Marlborough Street, John Mallet continued to work with Robert Mallet , whose foundry and plumbing establishment he inherited in 1804. Under his ownership the business, which he moved to new premises in Ryder's Row, continued to thrive. In 1831 he was joined by his only surviving son ROBERT MALLET  , who took responsibility for the foundry. He himself became increasingly involved in Corporation matters, serving as High Sheriff of the city in 1830-31.
The firm of J. & R. Mallet was employed on a regular basis by Trinity College, Dublin, from 1836 or earlier until 1850. In about 1840 the firm built a new foundry at Cross-Guns Bridge to the north of Dublin, but during the 1850s business began to decline, and, after the firm had failed to secure the contract for supplying pipes and castings for the extension of the Dublin Corporation waterworks, it was closed down circa 1855. Robert Mallet  moved to London where he worked as an engineering consultant, while his father stayed on in retirement in Dublin until his death in 1868.
'John Mallet, Esq. Ryder's-row' was a subscriber to William Stitt's The Practical Architect's Ready Assistant; or Builder's Complete Companion (Dublin, 1819).
In the Powerscourt Albums in the Irish Architectural Archive there is a design by J. & R. Mallet, dated 27 May 1836, for supporting the floor of the saloon at Powerscourt and a letter to the Rev. W. Magee about the same proposal, which was not executed (Acc, 89/62.1/28/1 and 1/87(P)/1).
Addresses: 5 & 6 Ryder's Row, 1806-1815; 8 & 9 Ryder's Row, 1816->=1839; 7, 8 & 9 Ryder's Row, <=1841->=1847; 7, 8 & 9 Ryder's Row, 10 Cross Lane and 5th Lock, Royal Canal, 1853.
Home: 98 Capel Street, 1847; Delville House, Rathmines, <=1853->=1857.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from R.C. Cox, 'Robert Mallet: Engineer and Scientist', in R.C. Cox, ed. Robert Mallet 1810-1881: Centenary Seminar Papers (1982), 1,30.
CARD XVIII, 459.
'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', The Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2, unpaginated.
Trinity college muniments, MUN/P/2/266-7, 287, 295, 297, 299, 301, 303, 306, 309, 311, 314, 317.
Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 285-6.
From Wilson's, Post Office, Pettigrew & Oulton's and Thom's directories.