MALLET, WILLIAM *
- Born: 1785a Died: -
Ironmonger, of Dublin. William Mallet, younger son of RICHARD MALLET , was baptised in North Tawton, Devon, on 24 December 1785. On the urging of his elder brother JOHN MALLET , who was already working in Ireland, the members of his family who remained in Devon - his parents, his sister, Jane, and himself - moved to Dublin in the opening years of the nineteenth century. In 1804 he was awarded one of three premiums by the Dublin Society's School of Architectural Drawing,(1) and in 1812 he exhibited a 'perspective view of Sir Thomas Stanley's entrance gateway, on the Mail Coach Road between Liverpool and Chester' at the Society of Artists of the City of Dublin.(2) He entered into partnership with his father, who had established an ironmongery business at 90 Marlborough Street, in about 1814(3) and, at Michaelmas 1819, was admitted a Freeman of the City as a member of the Guild of Smiths by Grace Especial.(4) After his father's death; he carried on the business at 90 and 91 Marlborough Street, his address changing to 92 Marlborough Street in 1831. According to R.C. Cox he was of an inventive bent, and some of his inventions were manufactured at his brother John's factory.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from R.C. Cox, 'Robert Mallet: Engineer and Scientist', in R.C. Cox, ed. Robert Mallet 1810-1881: Centenary Seminar Papers (1982), 1.
(1) MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Architectural Drawing admissions and prizewinners (in IAA); according to Royal Dublin Society minutes, Mallet won a premium in 1803 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
(2) No. 108.
(3) 'Richard Mallet and Son' make their first appearance in Wilson's Dublin Directory for 1815.
(4) 'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', The Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2, unpaginated.