Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

County surveyor for Co. Westmeath, 1834-1861. Florence Mahony was one of the first group of county surveyors appointed on 17 May 1834.(1) Like many of his colleagues he soon found himself responsible for supervising famine relief works on a large scale, arguing in favour of road building as a productive use of labour. He retained the post until his death at 4 o'clock on 9 January 1861.(2) He was succeeded by JAMES ALEXANDER DICKINSON JAMES ALEXANDER DICKINSON . His 'Plans and Sections of Road Cuttings in County Westmeath', with specifications signed and dated 1 November 1836, are in the Westmeath County Library.(3)

ICEI: founder member, 1835..(4)



;All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Brendan O'Donoghue, The Irish County Surveyors 1834-1944 (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007), 250-251, which gives the fullest account of Mahony's career.

(1) Dublin Evening Post, 20 May 1834.
(2) DB 3, 15 Jan 1861, 400.
(3) Information from N.W. English (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
(4) Photocopy of transcript of minutes of first meeting of Engineers' Society of Ireland, 6 Aug 1835, in IAA, Jones File F73.

1 work entries listed in chronological order for MAHONY, FLORENCE

Sort by date | Sort alphabetically

Date: 1850
Nature: Plain gabled hall of coursed rubble with rendered gabled facade. Builder: John Meighan (who did not do a good job).
Refs: Co. Westmeath Grand Jury Presentments, Summer 1849, Spring 1852; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 201