Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Engineer, of Dublin. John King Maconchy was born in Downpatrick, Co. Down,(1) on 8 September 1889.   After attending Rossall School, Lancashire, he studied engineering at Trinity College, Dublin, from 1908 to 1912, receiving the BA and BAI degrees.  He then spent a year as a pupil of  FREDERICK ARTHUR CAMPION FREDERICK ARTHUR CAMPION , before working for the Royal Engineers, the Congested Districts Board and the Fisheries Board.   In  1914 he entered the Egyptian Irrigation Service, serving with the Royal Engineers in Egypt from 1917 to 1918. After his return to Ireland in 1923, he became a founder member and chairman of the firm of Kelly & Shiel and was a partner in the firm of Delap & Waller, consulting engineers, for over twenty-eight years. He was vice-president of the Association of Consulting Engineers of Ireland. He died in 1958.

ICEI: elected member 1925.
InstCE: elected associate member, 10 February 192..

Addresses: Home:  12 Victoria Villas, Blackrock, Co. Dublin, 1911;  Dromlin, Foxrock, Co. Dublin, <=1928->=1930; Hillside, Carrickmines, Co. Dublin, <=1933 until death.


All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Maconchy's candidate's circular for associate membership of Inst.CE (1920) (information kindly supplied by Mrs Carol Morgan, archivist, Inst.CE), from the obituary of Maconchy in IB 100, 31 May 1958, 398, and from ICEI membership lists.

(1) He may have been a son by the second marriage of Dr John King Maconchy (d.1890), who was surgeon of Downpatrick Infirmary for 33 years (http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/).