BASS, ABEL *
- Born: - Died: -
Carpenter and builder, of Dublin, active in the 1810s and 1820s. Abel Bass was admitted to the Dublin Society's School of Drawing in Architecture on 7 November 1816(1) and was made a freeman of the City of Dublin as a member of the Carpenters' Guild by virtue of service at Christmas, 1822.(2) He was the contractor for the rebuilding of St Paul's Church, North King Street, begun in August 1820, and for erecting a wall round the churchyard in 1822.(3)
A 'Mr. Le Bass, Bass-place, Denzill-street' was a subscriber to William Stitt's The Practical Architect's Ready Assistant; or Builder's Complete Companion(Dublin, 1819).
Addresses: Bass Place, Denzille Street, 1819; 29 Denzille Street, 1822-1826.(4)
See also JOSEPH BASS.
(1) Royal Dublin Society admissions.
(2) 'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', The Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2, 26.
(3) Alice M. Best, 'St Paul's Parish, Dublin', JRSAI 104 (1974), 24.
(4) From Wilson's and Pigot's directories.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for BASS, ABEL *
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, KING STREET NORTH, ST PAUL'S CHURCH (CI)|
|Nature:||AB contractor for rebuilding, started Aug 1820, and for building wall round churchyard, 1822.|
|Refs:||Alice M. Best, 'St Paul's Parish, Dublin', JRSAI 104 (1974), 24.|