LYNN, JOHN *
- Born: - Died: -
Architect and building contractor, of Coleraine, Co. Derry. John Lynn, a son of JOHN LYNN , worked with his father at Downpatrick and elsewhere during the 1830s, probably until the completion of the first section of the Ulster Railway in 1839. In 1840 he was awarded the contract for building the bridge across the River Bann at Coleraine to designs by the county surveyor, STEWART GORDON . The bridge was completed in 1844.
A John Lynn, architect, of Bridge Street, Coleraine, appears in Slater's Irish Directory for 1846 but not in the Belfast and Province of Ulster Directory for 1852 or in the 1856 edition of Slater's Directory. However a John Lynn, architect, reappears with an address at Kingsgate, Coleraine, in the Belfast and Province of Ulster Directory for 1870.
All information in this entry is from Gordon Wheeler, 'John Lynn - Architect/Contractor/Engineer', Lecale Miscellany (1997), 25,27.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for LYNN, JOHN *
Sort by date | Sort alphabetically
|Building:||CO. DERRY, COLERAINE, BRIDGE OVER BANN|
|Nature:||JL contractor. Architect: Strewart Gordon.|
|Refs:||J. Stevens Curl, The Londonderry Plantation 1609-1914 (Chichester, 1986), 387; Gordon Wheeler, 'John Lynn - Architect/Contractor/Engineer', Lecale Miscellany (1997), 25|