Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Stonecutter, of Dublin, active in the 1780s and 1790s. James Lynam placed the following advertisement in Faulkner's Dublin Journal for 28-31 October 1786: 'Elegant Marble Chimney pieces, carved, inlaid and plain. James Lynam, stone cutter, successor to the late Charles Lynam, deceased, begs leave to acquaint the nobility, gentry and his friends that he carries on that Business in all its branches, Marlborough Street, near the Green.' James Lynam was admitted a Freeman of the City of Dublin as a member of the Guild of Bricklayers 'Gratis' at Michaelmas 1786(1) and was Master of the Guild of Bricklayers in 1799.(2) The James Lynham, who was admitted to the Dublin Society's School of Architectural Drawing on 16 May 1776(3) may be the same person. The will of a Henry Lynham, stonecutter of Dublin, was proved in the Prerogative Court in 1788.(4)

Addresses: Marlborough Street 'near the Green', 1786; 10 Hanover Lane, 1799.(5)


(1) 'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', The Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2, 77.
(2) Wilson's Dublin directory (1799), ?.
(3) MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Architectural Drawing admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).
(4) Arthur Vicars, Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810 (1897), 296.
(5) See note 2, above.