County surveyor for Cos. Mayo and Louth. Patrick John Lynam, a son of JAMES LYNAM , was born in 1852 and educated at Queen's College, Galway, from which he graduated with a BE degree in 1872. He then joined the Indian Civil Service and spent some years in Ceylon. In 1880 he applied unsuccessfully for the post of Cork city engineer, but in July 1883, following the death of HENRY BREWSTER , he was appointed county surveyor for the northern division of Co. Mayo, based in Ballina. In 1886 he was transferred to Co. Louth, following the resignation of JOHN NEVILLE. At the beginning of his time in Co. Louth he was also surveyor for the the county of the town of Drogheda, a post which was abolished in 1899. He held the position of county surveyor for Co. Louth until his death, which took place after several months of illness, on 7 August 1912, when he was fifty-nine. He was buried in Glasnevin Cemetery with his wife, Margaret Mary (née Barry), who had died at the age of twenty-six on 20 April 1889, shortly after their marriage. An elder brother William Lynam, a civil engineer who died in Earl's Court, London, in 1913, was also buried in the same plot. After his wife's death Lynam lived with one of his four unmarried sisters, Anna Lynam, for the rest of his life.
Lynam's work 'was marked by solidity, forethought and sound judgment', according to the obituary in the Irish Builder, while the Building News noted that he was a keen advocate of the steam rolling of roads. He was succeeded in the county surveyorship by THOMAS WALSH.
Institute of County & Municipal Engineers: elected member, 1 August 1891.
Address: Home: Woodlawn, 1 Stapleton Place, Dundalk, 1889; 15 Stapleton Place, <=1899 until death.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Brendan O'Donoghue, from Peter Geraghty, 'P.J. Lynam, the last County Surveyor for Louth Grand Jury (1886-1912)', County Louth Archaeological and Historical Journal 27, No. 2 (2010), 284-302, which includes a portrait photograph of Lynam (p.289) and from the obituaries of Lynam in IB 54, 31 Aug 1912, 516, and Building News 103, 30 Aug 1912, 287. The latter forms the basis of the obituary in Proc. Inst. Municipal & County Engineers 38 (1911-12), 507.
Connaught Telegraph, 17 Jul 1886 (B.O'D.). Two of Lynam's reports to the Co. Louth Grand Jury and County Council are noted in IB 32, 15 Jun 1890, 175 and IB 41, 15 Aug 1899, 99.
Glasnevin cemetery records.
See note 2, above.
See note 2, above.
Proc. Inst. Municipal & County Engineers 31(1907-1908), list of members.