LUNDY, HENRY JAMES
- Born: 1871 Died: 1964
Architect, of Dublin. Henry James Lundy, eldest of the four sons of Hugh Lundy (1827-1912), a native of Co. Cavan, and his wife Elizabeth (1847-1928), née Young, from Killucan, Co. Westmeath, was born in Dublin on 5 June 1871. He was a pupil in th office of WILLIAM HENRY BEARDWOOD from 1891 to 1895(1) and had established his own office in Dame Street by 1900. Pupils and assistants in the office included FRANCIS PETER RUSSELL.
Henry Lundy's architectural career came to an end in 1912 when he emigrated to Canada to farm, leaving his younger brother HUBERT JOHN LUNDY in the Dublin office. He returned to Ireland in about 1953 and died while staying with Hubert in Dublin on 5 January 1964. He had married Evaline Marion Spence, daughter of WILLIAM SPENCE , iron and brass founder, of Cork Street, on 26 June 1901 and was the father of at least two sons, William and George.(2)
The Irish Architectural Archive holds a collection of drawings with some related documents from the offices of Henry James Lundy and Hubert John Lundy, which were donated by Hubert Lundy's daughter Dell Lundy in 2001 (Acc.2001/22).
RIAI: elected member, 1896, having been proposed by W.H. Beardwood;(3) still a member in 1915 but no longer a member in 1916.
Addresses: 40 South Circular Road, 1896->=1898;(4) 38 Dame Street <=1900-1907;(5) 17 Suffolk Street, 1907-1915.
Home: The Hirsel, Rathfarnham, 1910.(6)
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the daughter of Hubert Lundy, Miss M.H.D. Lundy, Williamstown, Blackrock, Co. Dublin, from RIAI lists of members, Thom's Directory and The Post Office Directory.
(1) IAA, RIAI office archives (Acc. 93/136), membership forms 1878-1909 (extremely fragile).
(2) Account of funeral of William Spence in Irish Times, 30 Jul 1907.
(3) RIAI council meeting minutes, 2 Nov 1896, 337.
(4) See note 1, above.
(5) IB 49, 30 Nov 1907, 829.
(6) IB 52, 28 May 1910, 350.
21 work entries listed in chronological order for LUNDY, HENRY JAMES
|Building:||CO. WICKLOW, GREYSTONES, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH|
|Nature:||Addition of short transepts. Builder: Henry Richard Evans.|
IB 41, 1 Sep 1899, 130; Paul Harron, Architects of Ulster: Young & Mackenzie, a transformational provincial practice 1850-1960 (Ulster Architectural Heritage Society, 2016), 275.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CHAPELIZOD, PHOENIX PARK DISTILLERY|
|Nature:||Reconstruction of floors of grain store, 1900; rebuilding of milling portion after fire of 17 Jan 1901. Builder: John Good, Great Brunswick St. Cost: £3,000. For Distillers' Co, Ltd.|
|Refs:||IB 43, 12 Sep 1901, 861|
|Building:||CO. WICKLOW, WICKLOW, BRICKFIELD LANE, HOUSES (002)|
|Nature:||Tenders invited for erection of 2 villas. Architect: Mr Lundy.|
|Refs:||Wicklow Newsletter, 31 Jan 1903|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLONTURK PARK, CLONTURK HOUSE (ORMOND COMMERCIAL SCHOOL FOR BOYS)|
|Nature:||Sanitary arrangements for new boys' commercial school in Clonturk House,
Irish Times, 17 Oct 1903.
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, NENAGH, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH|
|Nature:||New church. Tenders invited, Jun & Jul 1905. Memorial stone laid 23 Oct 1906. Builder: Whelan Bros, Dublin. Terracotta dressings by Mssrs. Beckett, Kingscourt; lead light windows by McCullagh & Nairn, Stephen's Gn, Dublin|
|Refs:||Irish Times, 20 Jun 1905; IB 47, 15 Jul 1905, 494; 48, 17 Nov 1906, 942(illus.)|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GEORGE'S STREET SOUTH GREAT, NO. 048-50|
|Nature:||Shops being built opposite Dockrell's for F. Hafner, who retains portion of premises on removing his business across the street. Portmarnock brick with Skerries limestone and Peterhead granite. Builder: J. & P. Good.|
|Refs:||IB 47, 9 Sep 1905, 609; 48, 16 Jun 1906, 473 (illus.)|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SHREWSBURY ROAD, NO. 011 (FINTRAGH)|
|Nature:||New villa residence, 'lately built' for Dr Frederick L. Flood (but not for his own use?). Builder: Whelan Bros, & Byrne.|
|Refs:||IB 48, 24 Feb 1906, 144(illus.)|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CORK STREET, NO. 110-111 (EUSTACE BROS)|
|Nature:||New dry cleaning & finishing rooms. Contractor: Alex Hull & Co., Ringsend Rd.|
|Refs:||IB 49, 13 Jul 1907, 488|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ADELAIDE ROAD, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH|
|Nature:||New front. Estimated cost: about £2,500.|
|Refs:||IB 50, 22 Feb 1908, 101|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, KIMMAGE, HOUSE|
|Nature:||New house completed. Builder: Whelan Bros., Arbour Place, Dublin.|
|Refs:||IB 50, 28 Nov,26 Dec 1908, 737,800 (illus.)|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MOUNT BROWN, DUNLOP'S LAUNDRY|
|Nature:||New chimney, 102 ft. high. Contractor: J. & P. Good; new boiler house & drying rooms. Contractor: George Langley, Ringsend Rd.|
|Refs:||IB 49, 16 May,16 Nov 1908, 309,797|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, BUTTERFIELD AVENUE, HOUSES (003)|
|Nature:||HJL to build 3 detached villas at £700 each (including or as well as The Hirsel?).|
|Refs:||IB 51, 20 Mar 1909, 177|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, BUTTERFIELD AVENUE, THE HIRSEL|
|Nature:||HJL builds house for himself. Builder: Whelan Bros.|
|Refs:||IB 52, 28 May 1910, 350(illus.)|
|Building:||CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, CATHERINE STREET, BAPTIST CHURCH|
|Nature:||New, replacing incommodious chapel of 1877. Contractor: Whelan Bros. £1,400.|
|Refs:||IB 52, 12 Nov 1910, 704|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PEARSE STREET, NO. 206|
|Nature:||Being reconstructed with large extension at rere for garage, for T.C. McCormick, 7 D'Olier St. Builder: Whelan Bros, Arbour Hill.|
|Refs:||IB 53, 15 Apr 1911, 246|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RATHGAR ROAD, NO. 185 (MALAKOFF HOUSE)|
|Nature:||Alts. & renovation. Builder: W. Creighton, Rathgar.|
|Refs:||IB 53, 19 Aug 1911, 561|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, THOMAS STREET, NO. 040-42|
|Nature:||Demolition & rebuilding for Duffy & Sons, drapers, & Mssrs. Eastman, victuallers, with slaughter houses &c. at rear. Builder: Wm. Beckett & Son, Percy Place.|
|Refs:||IB 53, 25 Nov 1911, 778; 54, 2 Mar 1912, 141|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRAFTON STREET, NO. 063|
|Nature:||Alts. to Mssrs. Thornton's premises on corner of Chatham St, including new shop front on Chatham St side. Builder: Mssrs. Keatinge, Grafton St.|
|Refs:||IB 54, 6 Jan 1912, 18|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, KIMMAGE ROAD (TERENURE), HOUSE|
|Nature:||For James Ogilvie, Queenstown. Builder: William Creighton, Orwell Rd, Rathgar.|
|Refs:||IB 55, 27 Sep 1913, 609(illus.),624|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, LONG LANE, HOUSES (040)|
|Nature:||22 1-storey and 18 2-storey houses, for Mr. W. O'Connor.|
|Refs:||IB 55, 25 Oct 1913, 683|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, LONG LANE, HOUSES (010)|
|Nature:||10 2-storey houses. Builder: Mssrs. Clarke, Clanbrassil St.|
|Refs:||IB 56, 15 Aug 1914, 498|