BAKER, THOMAS *
- Born: - Died: -
Builder and stonemason, of Dublin, active in the late-eighteenth and early-nineteenth centuries. Thomas Baker was employed by the second earl of Aldborough circa 1796 at Aldborough House, Dublin, where he estimated for building the 'G[reat] stairs', completed a portion of the external corniceand set eighty-five balusters.(1) He collaborated with ROBERT MCCARTNEY on the plinth for the railings, kerbstone and pavement at Mountjoy Square in 1801,(2) and more importantly on the erection of Nelson's Pillar in 1808.(3) Baker and Macartney were also responsible for the stonework of the Corn Exchange on Burgh Quay, erected in 1816-17,(4) and for stonecutter's work on the Pro-Cathedral, Marlborough Street, in 1821.(5) In 1815, Darley (perhaps ARTHUR DARLEY  ) and Baker had received £2,100 for work on the 'Portico in the Park'.(6) Baker is also said to have been engaged on the building of the Custom House, Post Office, and Carlisle Bridge, Dublin,(7) and of Aldborough House.(8) He was paid in connection with building in Westmoreland Street, Dublin, for the Wide Streets Commissioners in 1801.(9) He appears to have been the father of THOMAS BAKER  and had a daughter, Mary, who married GILBERT COCKBURN .
Thomas Baker, senior & junior, are listed in Pigot & Co.'s City of Dublin and Hibernian Provincial Directory (1824) as builders at 18 and 19 North Strand, respectively, in 1824. One of them was a subscriber to William Stitt's The Practical Architect's Ready Assistant; or Builder's Complete Companion (Dublin, 1819).
(1) Aidan O'Boyle, 'Aldborough House, Dublin: a construction history', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 4 (Irish Georgian Society, 2001),121.
(2) F.A. Ashe, 'Mountjoy Square', Dublin Historical Record 3 (1941), 101.
(3) Patrick Henchy, 'Nelson's Pillar', Dublin Historical Record 10 (1948), 59.
(4) George Newenham Wright, Historical Guide to Dublin (1821), ?.
(5) Bryan Bolger papers, NA/PRO 1A/58/128.
(6) See note 4, above.
(7) DB 4, 15 Feb 1862, 43.
(8) Verner-Wingfield Papers, PRONI, D.2538/F/13.
(9) Dublin City Archives, Wide Street Commissioners' minutes, 22 Jan 1801.
7 work entries listed in chronological order for BAKER, THOMAS *
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PORTLAND ROW, ALDBOROUGH HOUSE|
|Nature:||TB carries out stonecutting work on same ('Great Stair', part of external cornice, setting of balusters) for 2nd Earl of Aldborough.|
Verner-Wingfield Papers, PRONI, D.2538/F/13; Aidan O'Boyle, 'Aldborough House, Dublin: a construction history', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 4 (Irish Georgian Society, 2001), 121-2.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WESTMORELAND STREET|
|Nature:||Payments to TB in connection with building in W St.|
|Refs:||Dublin City Archives, Wide Streets Commissioners minutes, 22 Jan 1801,19 Mar 1805,17 Jul 1810,30 Sep 1812,3 Apr 1816, 6 Nov 1816;|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MOUNTJOY SQUARE|
|Nature:||Plinth for railings. Collaborated with Robert McCartney who did footpath.|
|Refs:||F.A. Ashe, 'Mountjoy Square', Dublin Historical Record 3 (1941), 101|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, O'CONNELL STREET LOWER, NELSON MONUMENT|
|Nature:||Design by William Wilkins executed in modified form by Thomas Baker and Robert McCartney under supervision of Francis Johnston.|
|Refs:||Patrick Henchy, 'Nelson's Pillar', Dublin Historical Record 10, No. 2 (Jun-Aug 1948), 59|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BURGH QUAY, CORN EXCHANGE|
|Nature:||Responsible for stonework with Robert McCartney.|
|Refs:||George Newenham Wright, Historical Guide to Dublin (1821), ?.|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MARLBOROUGH STREET, ST MARY'S PRO-CATHEDRAL (RC)|
|Nature:||Stonecutters' work, with Robert McCartney.|
|Refs:||Bryan Bolger papers, NA/PRO 1A/58/128|
|Building:||CO. MEATH, OLDCASTLE, GILSON ENDOWED SCHOOL|
|Nature:||Robert McCartney and TB builders of same, for Trustees of Gilson Endowed School.
|Refs:||Articles of agreement between trustees of school and RM and Thomas Barker, 31 Mar 1823, for building same in IAA, Acc. 85/182.|