LOUCH, RICHARD *
- Born: - Died: -
Carpenter and architect, active in Armagh from 1775 or earlier until at least the early 1780s. In 1775 he sent a drawing of the doorcase of the Primate's Palace to Henry Maxwell, Bishop of Meath at Ardbraccan,(1) and in the following year he is recorded as finishing the building of the south wing of Armagh Infirmary with JOHN HARVEY. (2) He is presumably the 'Mr Louch' of Armagh who in 1780 agreed to supply timber for the Earl Bishop of Derry's proposed improvements at Downhill(3) ande is known to have been working at Downhill in the early 1780s.(4) See also RICHARD LOUCH , who may have been the same person,(5) and RICHARD LUCIUS LOUCH.
(1) In Farnham Collection (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
(2) 'microfilm p1014' (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
(3) Dorothy Stroud, Sir John Soane, Architect (1984), 46.
(4) See P. Rankin, Irish Building Ventures of the Earl Bishop of Derry (UAHS, 1972), 20-21, and Pierre du Prey, '"Je n'oublieray jamais": John Soane and Downhill', BIGS 21 (Jul-Dec 1978), 33.
(5) Shirley Arabin, Tauranga, New Zealand, in her paper ‘Keady to Katikati: Fitzgibbon Louch, Ulster Architect’, read at the conference 'The Hidden Irish: Ulster/New Zealand Migration and Cultural Transfers', Victoria University of Wellington, July 2004, states that Richard Louch was a first cousin of John Soane and practised as an architect and contractor in London before settling in Armagh, thereby abandoning his initial intention which was to move on from Ireland to America.