Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Land surveyor and valuer, of Dublin. John Longfield, who was born circa 1775, attended the Dublin Society's School of Landscape and Ornament, obtaining medals in 1792, 1793 and 1794 and a certificate in 1791. He was in partnership with JOHN BROWNRIGG  JOHN BROWNRIGG and Thomas Murray between 1799 and 1805.  From 1809 until 1811 he was employed by the Bogs Commission.   He was the father of WILLIAM D. LONGFIELD WILLIAM D. LONGFIELD , who succeeded to his business.

The National Library of Ireland has a large collection of maps produced by the firm of Brownrigg, Murray & Longfield, which was presented by William Longfield's nephew in 1908.(1)  The collection also includes maps and surveys from other sources and a variety of documents relating to the firm's affairs.  A map by Longfield of part of the Manor of Simmonscourt is in the Pembroke Estates collection in the National Archives.(2)

Addresses:(3) 67 Grafton Street, 1810 - 1826 and 19 Harcourt Street, 1827 until death.


All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Sarah Bendall, ed., Dictionary of Land Surveyors and Local Map-Makers of Great Britain and Ireland 1530-1850 (2nd edition, 1997),II, 322. For further mention of John Longfield, see J.H. Andrews, Plantation Acres (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1985), 130,143,170,204,234,239,252,444. Two maps of the Manor of Simmonscourt, Dublin, by John Longfield, dated 1822, are in the Pembroke Estate Papers in the National Archives.(Ref. 2011/2/1/29 & 30).

(1) NLI, Longfield Map Collection, MSS 21 F 32-21F 49); for list by Karen de Lacey, 2009, see http://www.nli.ie/pdfs/mss%20lists/158_Longfield_Map_Collection.pdf (last visited, Nov 2010).
(2) National Archives, 2011/2/1/29,30.
(3) From Wilson's Dublin Directory.

1 work entries listed in chronological order for LONGFIELD, JOHN [1]

Sort by date | Sort alphabetically

Date: 1802
Nature: Design for houses and street layout in 'intended' town of Castlereagh on Downshire estate.
Refs: PRONI, Papers relating to Co. Down and Lord Downshire, MIC619/1, see PRONI E-catalogue, http://applications.proni.gov.uk/LL_DCAL_PRONI_ECATNI/ResultDetails.aspx (last visited, Nov 2011).