Architect and engineer, of Belfast active in the 1870s, 1880s and 1890s. Frederick William Lockwood, son of William Lockwood, brewer, of Woodbridge, Suffolk, was born at Woodbridge on 11 January 1840. From 1851 to 1854 he was a pupil at Ackworth School, a Quaker boarding shool in Yorkshire. The date of his arrival in Ireland is not recorded, but by 1889 he was working from 16 Waring Street, Belfast, the same street in which JOHN RUSSELL had his office. He may be the same person as the 'F.E. Lockwood' of 91 Victoria Street, Belfast, who advertised for tenders for building a house in Antrim on 6 June 1903.
During the 1870s Lockwood was an active member of the Belfast Architectural Association, and on 4 March 1884 he lectured to the Belfast Natural History and Philosophical Society on 'Sanitary Protection Associations'. He was also a keen antiquarian, contributing notes and drawings on ancient buildings in Ireland and elsewhere to the Irish Builder and to the Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland. He exhibited measured drawings of Bonamargy Abbey, Co. Antrim, and Kilclief Castle, Co. Down, at the Belfast Industrial Exhibition in 1876. He was a member of the Frederick Street Quaker meeting, serving on the finance and property committee, and advised it professionally when a move to Upper Queen Street was mooted. The move did not take place; instead a competition was held for altering and enlarging the existing meeeting house, in which Lockwood was placed third.
Lockwood, who married Ruth Creeth (d. 1923) on 23 April 1868, eventually retired to York, where he died on 30 June 1917.
Belfast Architectural Association: attends meetings, 3 February 1873, 24 November 1873; introduces session of 1874-75;; reads paper, 'The arrangement of Materials in construction to produce satisfactory effects', 3 January 1876;; wins second prize, Class 3, in competition, 1876.
RSAI: elected member, November 1885.
Addresses: Royal Avenue, Belfast, 1885; 16 Waring Street, Belfast, <=1889->=1894; 24 Hambleton Terrace, York, at time of death.
See WORKS and BIBLIOGRAPHY.
Information in this entry not otherwise referenced is from the Dudley Causton Index at the Society of Genealogists, London, transcript at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.causton/dc_olines.htm (2008).
But, according to a note by Hugh Dixon in B of I files it was an E.H. Lockwood, rather than F.W. Lockwood, who was in partnership with Russell at the end of the 1890s. B 84, 6 Jun 1903, 602. A. Deane, ed., 'The Belfast Natural History and Philosophical Society Centenary Volume (1924), 138. See bibliography; see also IB 21, 1 Mar 1879, 70,73(illus.). D.M.Butler, The Quaker Meeting Houses of Ireland (2004), 143. IB 15, 15 Feb 1873, 56. Building News 25, 5 Dec 1873, 619. Architect 12, 21 Nov 1874, 275-6. IB, 15 Jan 1876, 24. IB 18, 15 May 1876, 142. JRSAI 17 (1885), 333. See note 9, above. JRSAI, lists of members.