Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Engineer with Dublin Corporation from 1877 until 1912. According to the 1911 census, Louis Lawless was born in Dublin in 1844 or1845.   He spent five years with the London & North Western Railway Co. at Crewe before studying engineering at Trinity College, Dublin. After graduating with the degree of BAI in 1872,(1) he worked for five years on the railway developments of the Southern Railway Co., Ireland. He entered the service of Dublin Corporation in 1877 as a deputy surveyor. After the passing of the Boundaries Act he became an Assistant Engineer, his duties being chiefly in connection with the Paving Committee. He died at Kilkee in October 1912 after an illness of some months. He left a widow, Margaret, whom he had married circa 1878, and five grown children. Two of his sons, Eugene and Louis, were electrical engineers.(2)

ICEI: elected member, 6 Feb 1878.(3)

Address:  27 Castlewood Avenue, Rathmines, 1911.


All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Lawless's application for membership of ICEI in ICEI membership applications, Vol. IV, no. 49 (NLI Microfilm pos. 9384; copy in IAA), from the 1911 census http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000136639/ (last visited Feb 2009), and from the obituary in IB 14, 12 Oct 1912, 574. His death is also noted in Building News, 11 Oct 1912, 506.

(1) R.C. Cox, compiler, Trinity College School of Engineering: 'Graduates' in Engineering 1843-1992 (1993), unpaginated.
(2) For works of the younger Louis, see IB 49, 10 Aug 1907, 570, IB 53, 22 Jul 1911, 501.
(3) TICEI 12 (1876-1879), 68.