LAZZERINI, PIETRO *#
- Born: 1842 Died: 1918
Sculptor, of Lucca and Carrara, Italy,(1) of Berlin and of London, who executed the rood screen in Armagh Roman Catholic cathedral, the statues of the eleven faithful apostles and of archbishops William Crolly and Daniel Mcgettigan on the west front, and the statue of Dr McGettigan in the north west corner of the cathedral piazza.(2) At Monaghan cathedral he executed the statues in the arcades beneath the rose windows in the gables of the nort and south transepts and the sculpture in the tympana over the entrances.(3) The statue of Patrick Leahy, Archbishop of Cashel, which stands in front of Thurles cathedral is also his work.(4)
Three statues by Lazzarini - 'Instruction', 'Vanity' and 'Nymph going to bathe' - appeared in the Dublin International Exhibition of Art and Manufactures in 1865.(5) Lazzarini also exhibited at the Royal Academy in London in 1875.(6)
See WORKS, for Irish work only.
Information about Pietro Lazzerini is from Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pietro_Lazzarini (last visited, Mar 2014).
(1) According to Benedict Read ( 'Vintage Victoriana', Country Life 185, 8 Jun 1989, 31), the Lazzerinis were 'a vast family of sculptors from Carrara, practising from late in the 18th century to 1940'; Read, apparently wrongly, identifies the sculptor as Giuseppe Lazzerini (1831-95).
(2) Guide to St Patrick's Roman Catholic Cathedral (1904), 27,56; Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 111. .
(3) Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 464.
(5) Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 63.
(4) Nos. 5,35,39; these pieces of sculpture are now at Brodsworth House, near Doncaster, Yorkshire; see Read, op.cit., above.
(5) Nos. 1267,1322,1339.
2 work entries listed in chronological order for LAZZERINI, PIETRO *#
|Building:||CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (RC)|
|Nature:||Rood screen and statue of Dr McGettigan in front of cathedral executed by PL. Also statues of 11 faithful apostles and Archbishops Crolly & McGettigan on entrance front.
|Refs:||Guide to St Patrick's Cathedral, Armagh (1904), 27,56 (for photograph of statue of Dr McGettigan, see T. O Fiaich, St Patrick's Cathedral, Armagh (Irish Heritage Series, No. 58, 1987), Pl. 13); Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 111.|
|Building:||CO. MONAGHAN, MONAGHAN, CATHEDRAL OF ST MACARTAN (RC)|
|Nature:||Statues in arcades beneath rose windows in the gables of N & S transepts; sculpture in tympana over entrances.|
|Refs:||Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 464.|