Engineer. Robert Henry King was born on 13 April 1874. He entered Trinity College, Dublin, in 1890 and received the BA and BAI degrees in 1894. From December 1894 he worked on the Portlaoise waterworks under HENRY VINCENT WHITE , first as an engineering assistant and, from March 1896 until the opening of the works in January 1897, as resident engineer. From November 1897 until March 1898 he worked on the Donegal Railway extension from Strabane to Londonderry under JAMES BARTON , and from May 1898 until 1900 was contractor's engineer for a section of the railway. In 1900 he applied unsuccessfully for the county surveyorship of Co. Offaly, left vacant by the death of RICHARD BARNSLEY SANDERS.
Between 1900 and 1909 King was working out of Ireland, in England, Hong Kong and the Gold Coast. He returned to Ireland in 1909 and set up his own engineering practice at Star Chambers, College Green, Dublin. The 1911 census records him as unmarried and living in his stepmother's house at 65 Strand Road. In the same year he was a short-listed but unsuccessful candidate for the surveyorship of North Co. Mayo. By 1920 he had left Ireland again, this time for Bombay. He had retired to Somerset by 1933 and was still living in 1947.
ICEI: elected member, 3 January 1912; reads paper, 'Notes on submarine construction', 14 February 1914; no longer on list of members for 1924.
Inst.CE: elected member 1 September 1900; transferred to member 7 April 1914; resigned 21 January 1947.
Addresses: Irish Street, Strabane, 1899; Star Chambers, 12-14 College Green, 1910-17; Charlotte Quay, Dublin, 1917-1918; c/o King, King & Co, P.O. Box 110, Bombay, 1920-22.
Home: 65 Strand Road, Dublin, 1911; Selma, Nashville, Lowth, Co. Dublin, 1914; Anglesea, Killiney, Co. Dublin, 1919-1922; Winford Manor, Winford, Somerset, 1933.
See WORKS and BIBLIOGRAPHY.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from ICEI membership applications, IV, 113, and ICEI membership lists, and from Inst. CE records, courtesy of Mrs Carol Morgan.
King's County Chronicle, 3 May 1900 (B.O'D.).
Connaught Telegraph, 4 Mar 1911 (B.O'D.).
TICEI 38 (1911-12), 53.
TICEI 40 (1913-14), 77-109.